30K views

Much to my dismay and disatisfaction, when shopping at your store in carpentersville, il on November 30, 2011, I find that menards discontinued military discounts. All the other home improvement stores like Home Depot and Lowe's make that discount available. Now that it is your policy not to afford military discounts, I will no longer shop at Menards.

Can you explain why the discount was discintinued and please do not enter an explanation of economics! I was very proud to serve this nation, in unform for 26 years and your military discount statement is a slap in the face to all veterans!

Michael Sallustio

Proud retiree of the U.S. Air Force

Location: Elmhurst, Illinois

Comments

@PissedConsumer1486369

Not giving a discount is only a slap in the face if you feel entitled to one. No one is entitled to a discount. People should appreciate, thank and patronize the stores that offer a discount rather than bashing stores that don't offer a discount you are not entitled to.

@PissedConsumer1486665

I appreciate everything our Vets have done. I will always stand up for you guys and for our Flag.

But enough with the entitlement BS. Did you enter the military just so that someday you could get a discount on 2x4's? Come on man! Don't ruin what you did by what you have become.

And not everyone in the military put their lives on the line. So whats the right breakdown? 10% off if you were front line, 8% if you were deployed 5% if you just mowed the lawn at the base in Utah?You did what you did for you and for the country. Thank you for that!

Welcome Home!

Please don't act like you did it to save money on home improvement supply's. I want to continue to respect you.

@PissedConsumer1506945

I like Menards but why would I go there instead of Lowe’s or Home Depot just to pay more for the same product? I wouldn’t.

The 10% discount is a small appreciation for our service. We don’t always get to be with our families or even choose where they’ll send us next.

Spend 20 years not having a choice in daily life matters. Then whine.

@PissedConsumer1506945

Doug I get your point and I see where you are coming from but, honestly come across as one which probably supports the military and our veterans and I thank you for having that mentality. You're right no one joined for the discount at Menards or any other store.

And you are right about veterans putting their lives on the line although, ALL of them signed up to put their lives on the line. I thank you for standing up for veterans but, honestly most Americans will say that and will also say they support the military but, will actually not do anything that inconveniences them to actually follow through what they say. Nothing against you or anyone else but, in order to say one supports or stands up for the military one actually has to do something which they would not normally do even if that means an inconvenience to you... it's not just words.

But you're right NO ONE signed up to get any discounts... they signed up to protect all those at home even if it meant leaving their family behind, missing the birth of the children, missing anniversaries, missing family deaths... they promised to go where the American people sent them to protect home even if meant that while they did that they would postpone their personal lives, careers, education and salaries at home. The fact is that if you told me as a soldier that you support the military but, then just went about your day worrying about your needs I would just shake my head and walk way...

but if you actually some time to "sacrifice" your time to understand just as I have sacrificed for you I would gladly go off to fight for you and your family just so your kids and all others could grow up with a proud dad such as yourself.... even if it meant my own may never see me again. I know you meant well but....

you're right... no one ever joined or served for a discount from a hardware store.

@PissedConsumer1486369

Do you confirm that EVERY store you shop at give a discount and honors you rather than slapping you in the face by not giving a discount? Bet that you will find very few stores that give a discount.

Yes there are some stores that will use a veterans discount as a public relations tool in their advertising. Sure, it looks good in their ads but look at all the complaints from vets on the Home Depot and Lowes boards. The discounts aren't handled evenly throughout the company. It's just like the big box stores claiming to offer great service.

Sounds great in an ad, but in reality it isn't all that great.

Buy from whatever store gives you the best bottom line price and service. Thank those where you actually receive a discount but to get bent out of shape because a store doesn't give a discount is unreasonable.

I have always been a bit more low key about my military service. I just figured it was a job I chose, just like the person who chose to work any other occupation.

I feel that I am patriotic. I do still get chills when the national anthem is played, I feel honored to hold my hand over my heart and stand at attention with my feet at a 45, facing that beautiful flag. I do get upset when people with an axe to grind, however sincere they are, choose to use the occasion of the National Anthem being played, to grind that axe. So I suppose if you didn't serve and a person that did writes about feeling slighted or upset about no military discount, you have the right to bash him for his thoughts.

You can do that even if he served to defend your right to express yours. That is why I choose not to make a big show of my military service. I know that while I was serving on my military job many others were serving this great nation in other jobs, and that is patriotic too. I guess it is no different then back in the day when people were burning the American Flag.

To me they were just burning a piece of cloth, because that flag they were burning did not mean the same thing to them that it means to me. I say go buy your piece of cloth and burn it. But now... come in my yard and try to burn my flag and you will have to burn it over my dead body.

It is all just perspective, and that is not a problem. The problem is that it seems to be human nature only to look from our own perspective and not to try and look from the other person's point of view. But, all is not lost. Become enlightened and realize the world does not revolve around you or even your "clan", but there are billions of people out there with many different ways of looking at things and they all have the right to them.

And that is why I am proud to have served. To defend that right to have your own thoughts and feelings. So, I fought and served so you could burn your piece of cloth but not my American Flag, and so everyone can express their thoughts and feelings, but not disrespect those of others.

And to think, I just looked on line to see if Menard's offered the military discount, because the doors I want to buy are $0.50 cheaper and I wanted to go there if the discount was applied as well. I guess I will go to Lowe's because I will save more money, but not because Menard's doesn't offer a military discount.

@PissedConsumer1465242

Thank you for your service. I appreciate the fact that you do not make your buying decisions based on whether you get a discount or not, but the bottom line price. If the discount provides a better price thank the company that offers it.

Part of your problem is you expect a discount. It is sometimes given as a thank you. Doesn't mean you are entitled dude.

@PissedConsumer1448241

Bev, a large part of the problem Is the lack of patriotism to our country and flag. This is being taught in our schools and online.

If Menards doesn’t want to give our veterans who served our country a discount.. that’s fine.

All of us will either go to Hone Depot or Lowe’s. When they see it hit their bottom line, watch them change their position...

@PissedConsumer1538884

What does patriotism have to do with a discount? I take it you haven't looked at all the complaints on the Lowes and Home Depot boards about veterans discounts. Menards just gives their best price to everyone every day.

The discount sure helps. I am 100% service connected disabled.

Fixed income. I shop where I can get my military discount.Home Depot offers 10% discount. But not for everything in the store. Just on certain selected items.

You have to check at checkout because there is no warning what qualifies or not while shopping.It’s 10% on everything on Lowe’s. Takes the guesswork out for me.

Agree!!!

Do you refuse to shop at all stores that don't give you a discount? Bet not.

@PissedConsumer1392628

I do. Except for groceries.

@PissedConsumer1417147

So, why don't you expect groceries stores to give you a discount? By you logic, these stores don't support you as a veteran, why should you support them?

@PissedConsumer1392628

An Ignorant statement. Is that the best you can do?

@PissedConsumer1432741

Why should this "vet" shop at grocery stores that don't support him when he won't shop at any other store that doesn't "support" him? What does a discount have to do with supporting vets or the country? He just feels more entitled than anyone else that is equally deserving of a discount.

This marine will no longer make purchases at menards. Having said that I will instruct family to do the same.

Do you make your employees sit during the national anthem. I'm certain my not spending money in your stores won't be a huge loss but I'm just one of many marines .that will follow suit.sleep well .I assure you we will still protect you and all your loved ones.god speed .lcpl.cerna.

@PissedConsumer1390367

LOL...

Unless you're a WWII vet, YOU DID NOT participate in any known battle in which our "freedoms" were at stake.

Sorry to burst your bubble but everyone isn't going to thank you for anything and offer to buy your breakfast at Denny's.

Please tell me you didn't join up to rake in deep discounts and free chit?

@PissedConsumer1398818

you're a dush bag. Veterans gave up at least 4 yrs of our life in service to our country, even if we didnt see action we would have done whatever was asked from us. Im sure you have done exactly ZERO for your country in your life.

Menards Reviews