30K views

Much to my dismay and disatisfaction, when shopping at your store in carpentersville, il on November 30, 2011, I find that menards discontinued military discounts. All the other home improvement stores like Home Depot and Lowe's make that discount available. Now that it is your policy not to afford military discounts, I will no longer shop at Menards.

Can you explain why the discount was discintinued and please do not enter an explanation of economics! I was very proud to serve this nation, in unform for 26 years and your military discount statement is a slap in the face to all veterans!

Michael Sallustio

Proud retiree of the U.S. Air Force

Location: Elmhurst, Illinois

Comments

Menards does not discriminate prices, although we do not offer the discount any longer we are working harder than ever to make sure that our prices are lower than our local competitors (at least at my store). We always have managers going to competitors and making sure we are cheaper. Although we are very grateful for your service to our country we try to make pricing fair for everyone.

As for the those that feel the need to attack those asking for the discount. Thats really not what this is about.

Its about the want to shop at Menards and Menards not being able to compete with a discount that they are not willing to match. I belive that there is a coustomer base that your missing out on.

For the employees that are attacking the cause. You already get the 10% if it would go away you would not be such loyal Menard shoppers.

I am in the Air Force and since you dont offer the Military discount and Home Depot and Lowes do guess where we shop. I worked for Menards for Ten years and they treated me fairly.

However I will shop where I get the best Prices and discount is a discount. What I am confused by is their statements to price match or even beat competitors.

But, in the same breath they will not honor a discount that other stores are providing. Sorry Menards you missed the boat on this one.

So you're mad because someplace won't give you something for free because of your chosen career?

dear ???,

You and your momma get a discount at *** "r" us.

If Menards pricing is 10% Lower than Lowes or Home Depot on items everyday as I find it often to be why would you be upset about not getting a military discount. If I can buy the same door for 15-20% less at Menards I'll be happy to leave my veterans Id in my wallet.

And how does one come to expect a discount for everything for being a veteran. It's a courtesy and we should recognize and appreciate it as such.

I am an employee of menards and we 'used to comp home depot' their 10% military discount and out of the blue we stopped. Whoever implied vetrans are searching for a free ride is an ***.

We are ust as lucky to have veterans around to tell the stories of why we are still free as we are the elderly which get discounts everywhere, and are well deserved discounts. U should be ashamed whoever u are.

I was in the Lowe's in Stevens Point, WI to buy a cordless drill. At the checkout, the clerk noticed my retired ID and told me about their discount for military.

Later, I asked at the Muscatine, IA, Menards if they also offered a military discount. NO! They don't want to offend the local cops.

Since then, Lowes has sold me two major appliances - the discount was great. Let the cops shop at Menards.

Why do you feel you are entitled to a discount? What about police officers, fire fighters, teachers, librarians or any one else that serves the public.

I don't think your enlistment papers will include retail discounts as a benefit of military employment. It's too bad some people think they are entitled to more than they are.

@PissedConsumer386096

The individual who made the original post does not think he is entitled to anything. He is merely asking what reason Menards has for discontinuing their discount.

No veteran on this thread has said anything about being entitled. And all you civilians who are griping about not getting a discount, and accusing veterans of having an attitude of entitlement, what have you done for this country? I do not feel entitled to any discount. But if I owned a store of any kind, I would offer a military discount because I know what it is like to be away from my wife, mother, father, brother, sister, friends and my own house for half a year.

All you griping civilians, what is the longest you have been away from home? Do you like that warm bed you sleep in? Do you like the property you own? Do you like being around your family without worrying about being killed in your sleep?

Are you entitled to that? NO. You are given freedom to have all these things by the men and women in the United States military who have fought and died for you. You are lucky anyone is fighting for you, you worthless, ungrateful fools.

When you have spent half a year away from your family, then you can let me know your opinion on this subject. And firefighters, teachers, police officers, and librarians do great things, yes, but they have never been required to spend more than two days away from their families. They go home to their own warm beds next to their wives or husbands almost every night. I do not think I am entitled to any discounts.

But I am more willing to do business with those who are grateful for the sacrifices I have made. I have known men who have not known their own child until he or she was a year old. The average soldier is paid much less than the average police officer. The average soldier has given much more than the average police officer.

I am grateful for what police officers do, but they are compensated well enough with their pay, and ability to go to their own home night after night.

When a company does not offer a discount, they display their lack of gratitude. And that is their right to do so, but that does not mean I have to do business with them.

@PissedConsumer386096

"Ask not what can your country do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."

-John F. Kennedy

Menards already has the lowest price in town.

Menards Reviews