18.5K views

Much to my dismay and disatisfaction, when shopping at your store in carpentersville, il on November 30, 2011, I find that menards discontinued military discounts. All the other home improvement stores like Home Depot and Lowe's make that discount available. Now that it is your policy not to afford military discounts, I will no longer shop at Menards.

Can you explain why the discount was discintinued and please do not enter an explanation of economics! I was very proud to serve this nation, in unform for 26 years and your military discount statement is a slap in the face to all veterans!

Michael Sallustio

Proud retiree of the U.S. Air Force

Comments

I have always been a bit more low key about my military service.I just figured it was a job I chose, just like the person who chose to work any other occupation.

I feel that I am patriotic. I do still get chills when the national anthem is played, I feel honored to hold my hand over my heart and stand at attention with my feet at a 45, facing that beautiful flag. I do get upset when people with an axe to grind, however sincere they are, choose to use the occasion of the National Anthem being played, to grind that axe. So I suppose if you didn't serve and a person that did writes about feeling slighted or upset about no military discount, you have the right to bash him for his thoughts.

You can do that even if he served to defend your right to express yours. That is why I choose not to make a big show of my military service. I know that while I was serving on my military job many others were serving this great nation in other jobs, and that is patriotic too. I guess it is no different then back in the day when people were burning the American Flag.

To me they were just burning a piece of cloth, because that flag they were burning did not mean the same thing to them that it means to me. I say go buy your piece of cloth and burn it. But now... come in my yard and try to burn my flag and you will have to burn it over my dead body.

It is all just perspective, and that is not a problem. The problem is that it seems to be human nature only to look from our own perspective and not to try and look from the other person's point of view. But, all is not lost. Become enlightened and realize the world does not revolve around you or even your "clan", but there are billions of people out there with many different ways of looking at things and they all have the right to them.

And that is why I am proud to have served. To defend that right to have your own thoughts and feelings. So, I fought and served so you could burn your piece of cloth but not my American Flag, and so everyone can express their thoughts and feelings, but not disrespect those of others.

And to think, I just looked on line to see if Menard's offered the military discount, because the doors I want to buy are $0.50 cheaper and I wanted to go there if the discount was applied as well.I guess I will go to Lowe's because I will save more money, but not because Menard's doesn't offer a military discount.

to A declining Perspective #1466018

Thank you for your service. I appreciate the fact that you do not make your buying decisions based on whether you get a discount or not, but the bottom line price. If the discount provides a better price thank the company that offers it.

Part of your problem is you expect a discount. It is sometimes given as a thank you. Doesn't mean you are entitled dude.

The discount sure helps.I am 100% service connected disabled.

Fixed income. I shop where I can get my military discount.Home Depot offers 10% discount. But not for everything in the store. Just on certain selected items.

You have to check at checkout because there is no warning what qualifies or not while shopping.It’s 10% on everything on Lowe’s.Takes the guesswork out for me.

Bjhandy

Agree!!!

Do you refuse to shop at all stores that don't give you a discount? Bet not.

to Anonymous #1417147

I do. Except for groceries.

to Anonymous #1417408

So, why don't you expect groceries stores to give you a discount? By you logic, these stores don't support you as a veteran, why should you support them?

to Anonymous #1432741

An Ignorant statement. Is that the best you can do?

to lsrryburdge #1432896

Why should this "vet" shop at grocery stores that don't support him when he won't shop at any other store that doesn't "support" him? What does a discount have to do with supporting vets or the country? He just feels more entitled than anyone else that is equally deserving of a discount.

This marine will no longer make purchases at menards.Having said that I will instruct family to do the same.

Do you make your employees sit during the national anthem.I'm certain my not spending money in your stores won't be a huge loss but I'm just one of many marines .that will follow suit.sleep well .I assure you we will still protect you and all your loved ones.god speed .lcpl.cerna.

to Anonymous #1398818

LOL...

Unless you're a WWII vet, YOU DID NOT participate in any known battle in which our "freedoms" were at stake.

Sorry to burst your bubble but everyone isn't going to thank you for anything and offer to buy your breakfast at Denny's.

Please tell me you didn't join up to rake in deep discounts and free chit?

to Anonymous #1406057

you're a dush bag. Veterans gave up at least 4 yrs of our life in service to our country, even if we didnt see action we would have done whatever was asked from us. Im sure you have done exactly ZERO for your country in your life.

to Anonymous #1406832

Ann honorable vet would never post a comment like this.

to Anonymous #1412334

And exactly who have you ever served besides yourself?

Probably be hard to explain to you a soldiers life is this short space but after 20 years of service I cannot even count the ways I made your sorry life better.Endless hours, cold, heat, rain, snow, ect all well below minimum wage.

How many work place accidents have your friends died from?Happens every day in a soldiers life.

If you have never served, you aint got a clue and {{REDACTED}}.

to DK072257 #1412908

I mean no disrespect, but you are the one who chose a military career.Families of police officers and firefighters always have to worry about their loved ones coming home safely as well.

Teachers work long hours for low pay and often have to use their own money to purchase classroom supplies.Is there a reason they don't feel they need to complain about not getting a discount and soldiers do?

to DK072257 #1424133

This {{redacted}}face don't have a clue what its like he for gets about drafting back when you had no choice but to go if he had to go with out any say of his own he would kill his self there to much of a puss to join now days

to DK072257 #1465792

I agree with you an the *** *** that you are talking to has no idea of what you an the military does or goes through.He's the type if you stomp your foot he will turn an run.

(Coward) not the type I want protecting my family an kids. Just a big mouth with {{redacted}}. So thank you an God bless . By the way my son is a disabled army .

Two wars.So dip *** has no idea what he's saying just a big mouth {{redacted}}.

to Anonymous #1417193

Sorry where have you been ..dis u serve? Vietnam Korea desert storm Irag Afghanistan?

to Anonymous #1423139

You stupid ***. I'd like to slap the taste out of your *** mouth.