Wichita, Kansas

I received a hammer for christmas which was purchased at menards. 2weeks before christmas I was let go from my job with a remodeling company.

So no longer needing this unused hammer i decided to exchange it for things i needed. When i took the hammer back with no receipt assuming they were like all other stores and would let you do an exchange they took my hammer and refused to give it back until i produce a receipt naturally within minutes i had an audience as i was furious.

I am sure they have a camera to reveiw at the entrance proving i did not steal it however i was informed they were not making accusations it was company procedure!!!!! never c another penny from me only a lawyer

Product or Service Mentioned: Menards Remodeling.

Comments

Yeah menards can *** a big one. I was in there with my fiance last October and we had someone hold the items we purchased so that we could get a bigger vehicle.

When we returned to pick it up, he was arrested for theft because the *** didn't ring up 4 items. The receipt was well over $1000 in allot of stuff. I ended up being kicked out of the store and both assistant store manager and the store manager, kept shouting at us in front of people and said we were common criminals.

And I rarely swear, much less steal. I was honestly afraid to go into any store for a while

OK. here's the deal.

Dumb *** people steal things and then bring them back for in store credit. If your "present hammer" that you claim to have gotten 2 months and 25 days ago from a "friend" has a shelf qty of 5 in our computer and there are 4 on the shelf and none sold in the last 4 months... then we keep the hammer and its your problem. Welcome to retail *** where crack and methheads try to steal stuff out of our stores every single day at every single location.

Sorry for your embarrassment, but I have to wonder if your friend lifted the item he gave you as a present because the only way retail stores do that is if their ducks are in a row so to speak. The inventory had to be short, no sales, no receipt, equals theft...

I find it truly amazing how many Retard's employees are on here defending this place of business.

something definately missing from this story, and I do know menards policies on this matter very well. have you done a number of returns without a receipt lately?

if not any front end manager would be an *** to use this policy over a $20 hammer and once its reviewed they will probably give you you're money back. also, what location was this?

While the $20 hammer may not be worth it, the defense of the principle to not be 'robbed' by an obviously faulty policy, is worth it. Also, if successful in the lawsuit, Menards would be the one having to pay BOTH lawyers for their criminal activity.

The excuse of 'it's policy' or of 'just trying to protect ourselves from shoplifting or theft' does not give the business the right to steal property from the public. That is a criminal act the would be easily proven in a civil court.

I was a front end manager for a while and also agree that there might be more to this story then you even know. We very often got calls from nearby stores on stolen items and either given descriptions or sent pictures on thieves.

It very well could oc just been that the same hammer was stolen from them or a nearby store. Store policy (which I dOnt ne essaying agree with) is to keep merchandise and send merch credit after it has been checked out

IT IS SO EASY KEEP YOUR RECIEPTS! THEN THERE BE ANY HASSEL.PEOPLE ARE REALLY *** THESE DAYS BUT ITS OUR FAULT.

The problem is people steal merchandise leave the store and then take it it back to a different Menards. She's just doing her job.

A little something else for the Judges. I hope I am behind you at thee pearly gates because the expression on your face as you are sent to the other staircase will more than make up for the lose of my hammer of course that is unless God gave you special permission to "judge others"

for all of you who are quick to accuse I walked into the store and straight to retun desk which is actually before you enter any merchandise also I suggested they veiw their security camera and they would see I got out of my vehicle with the hammer in my hand I did not steal the hammer however I do wonder about those of you who came up with that theory obviously you have done this before as you are so detailed as to how it is done thanks for making us Honest people pay for your dishonesty

i am in the return line right where you walk in the door, and i see these two guys walk in the store behind me...nothing in their hands. a minute later they come to the return line with a kitchen faucet to return (from the plumbing department worth several hundred dollars).

WOW.

I called the store manager on my way out the store. Wonder if they got caught?

I've NEVER had this issue at any store... did you walk in and go straight to the return desk?

or did you walk around teh store first? I'm not saying waht they did is right.

but we've been able to return loads of stuff without receipts. so it just seems like something is missing to this story.

I hope your 500 dollar per hour lawyer is worth the 20 dollar hammer that you stole.

We're missing pieces of the story. If he walked around the store first before trying to return the item at the front desk, then they will accuse him of stealing the hammer. Because people do this sort of thing a lot.

How much was the hammer you received for Xmas $80 or $90? You could ask the person who you received the gift from to help you with a receipt.

Your friend can print a new reciept at the entrance of any Menards. After getting the receipt, go back to the store for your credit.

Hate to say it, but many people steal the more expense items at Menards and other retailers. Now if it was a $20 hammer, I say you would of received a in store credit with out a receipt.

I work at one and really they should've (if they didn't and you are not saying) offered a no-receipt return and you would get the lowest sale price in the last 90 days on an in-store credit or on a Menards card if you have one.