2.4
Ease of Use
Layout of Store

In response to"What could we do differently?" Do not promise an assembled unit, then send a "do it yourself project" in 4 boxes that does not include all materials needed to complete. When a customer makes a concern known, in a reasonable manner, make every effort to retain that customer.

If a department manager needs to speak with an upper level manager, make sure they don't tell a customer they will TRY to call him back and NOT do it! CALL HIM BACK. When a customer makes an appearance at the store to have a congenial conversation with a manager, make sure that manager's name tag is not turned around so the customer doesn't know whom to address. When a customer sends a thoughtful, polite, email to corporate DON'T miss the entire intent and brush him off!

When the manufacturer of product tells the customer "we have a lot of complaints about this same issue from Menards customers" It may be a good managerial decision to look into why customers feel like they have been deceived. If there weren't plenty of competing home improvement stores, maybe this customer would still be one of yours!

Reason of review: Not as described.

Preferred solution: Price reduction.

I liked: General help on initial consultation.

I didn't like: Customer service.

Comments

Sorry but the truth you don't wanna hear is that you are the one paying for it. Ultimately the weight lands on you to spend your money where you want. Not knowing prior to a purchase is only an excuse even if you were given wrong info.

to Life #1564668

Life, you are absolutely right! The conclusion is that I will NEVER purchase anything at Menards again.

I said this same thing 25 years ago about another international discount retailer. To this day I have not stepped into one of their stores.

The sad reality is it would have taken a token $25 store credit on a $1000 purchase, to acknowledge my dissatisfaction, restore my consumer confidence, and maintain my continuing business. A managerial oversight that I actually EXPECT from a team that has their proverbial head buried this deeply in the sand!

to NocturnalFly691 #1565689

You WILL get incorrect information no matter where you shop. That is the United States that we live in today.

to NocturnalFly691 #1568550

Is this really that big of a deal if a $25 store credit would make this all go away and you'd be a happy camper?

It would help your complaint if you said what the product was and included their stock number so a reader of your complaint could look it up and see how the describe it.

to Anonymous #1562464

It was a kitchen Island. The sales consultant told us the cabinet company would build it, and ship it to us.

We were given a mock-up showing the finished cabinet.

We were not told it would require assembly and additional materials. We contacted the manufacturer and their CSR said ”we get that complaint from Menards c customers all of the time”

to NocturnalFly691 #1562766

What brand of cabinet was it? If you purchased Klearvue they require a lot of assembly.

The other box cabinet manufacturers will need to have countertop installed, toe kicks, perhaps a back panel and trim as well as knobs and pulls installed. Don't know what big box store you would go to that you would buy a cabinet that comes out of the box ready to go with nothing to install.

Did your purchase order list one item or were there multiple items on the order? Multiple items would indicate there was going to be more than one part to the island.

to Anonymous #1562984

Thank you for your reply, It was explained by the salesperson that the unit would arrive "assembled." My incorrect assumption was that the two base cabinets would be joined together, and the back cut to size and attached including corner mouldings. This would allow me to place my countertop on it, level it, fasten it to the floor, and install knobs.

The story changed when I complained. "Assembled" apparently means that the base cabinets would arrive seperately, back panel and mouldings would require cutting, and installation.

Additional to the included parts it was necessary to purchase additional materials to finish the back (plywood) and join the cabinets together, also corner moulding was not supplied. I was sold the unit as being complete, I paid a price that was about 4 times more than if I had bought the same individual units that they had available to purchase without "special order"

NocturnalFly691

Friday, phone conversation, return call was promised but did not happen. Saturday in store visit congenial conversation with department manager brought forth congenial conversation with on duty general manager, did not resolve.

Monday morning email, return email did not address listed concerns in a meaningful manner. In today's competitive retail environment, I expect better!