Jackson, Michigan

After 2 purchases of gas powered items ( a lawn mower and a leaf blower)in a span of one year from Menard's that went to "heck" after a short period of use and their no return policy on gas powered items , I will never shop there again.

$200 and I have no other recourse after being turned down for warranty work also.

How is this my fault when all I did was add gas????????

I may not be a small engine mechanic but I know nothing I did caused these items to stop working.

What every happened to customer service?

Comments

I got screwed over also. I bought a chain saw from menards and the thing only ran for 20 minutes.

I took it back the next day and one of the personnel there tried to get it going with no such luck. I was pretty much told that since I put gas in it that it was mine.

Yes I put the correct fuel mixture in it, but the simple fact is the product was junk. My solution to the problem is: (1) be glad they only got me for $119 and (2) that I shop elsewhere now.

@abc

Menards, Home Depot or any other retailer will not take the return if it had/has gas in it. What Menards failed to tell you, there are local small engine shops that do repairs while under warranty. If its a complete failure it needs to be returned to the manufacture.

@ GREG2305, fair enough. I'm sure it's not a lot of fun. Perhaps you didn't cause the issue, however, Menards has that policy because many people do cause the issue.

DSgamby

GREG2305: You did not answer (anonymous)'s question. (anonymous) asked what was the reason that Menards gave that the mover was not covered under warranty?

GREG2305

I'll keep this short and to the point.

Policeman,(anonymous), and Heartless, I have used small engine equipment for over 40 years and and know what I am doing.

For you to assume otherwise is B.S.

These items went bad in a very short time, through no fault of mine.

Ask yourself how you would feel knowing you are out $200 through no fault of yours and have no other recourse to recoup the money.

Perhaps you think buying a new mower every summer and a new leaf blower after a few months is normal but it is not acceptable in my world.

the only way a service center will not cover a warranty during a warranty period is if the problem was caused by the owner. Read the manual next time on how to properly maintain your products and stop blaming Menards.

#571900

You aren't telling the whole story. When the shop told you your repairs wouldn't be covered under warranty they also gave you a reason.

Why aren't you posting the reason it wouldn't be covered? By saying all you did was add gas would indicate you didn't put in any oil.

Not adding any oil will ruin an engine very quickly and would not be covered under the warranty. Next time rad the manual before you use new equipment.

Menards return policy on gas powered equipment is simple; Home Depot and Wal-Mart have a similar policy. It's stated all over the area by the gas powered equipment and the receipt.

ALL PUSHED GAS POWERED EQUIPMENT MUST GO TO A REPAIR SHOP; IF IT'S NOT A CONSUMER CAUSED PROBLEM IT WILL BE COVERED FREE OF CHARGE. ALL HAND HELD GAS POWERED EQUIPMENT CAN BE RETURNED WITH-IN 30 DAYS, IF PAST 30 DAYS IT MUST GO TO A REPAIR SHOP. This is not a customer service problem, it's your problem. You clearly know nothing about gas powered equipment.

Are you using fuel treatments? Are you changing the oil? Did you even skim the owners manuals?, I highly doubt it.

The reason Menards and other retail places have this policy is because Menards employees are not capable of telling weather it was a consumer caused problem or a manufactures problem.

It goes to the repair shop checked by a professional then if it's something you didn't cause it's covered. Another reason is people like to purchase gas powered equipment for one job and return it decreasing the value of the item and losing money for the store.

scharphg1
@Heartless

Heartless, besides being a troll, simply trolling this site lookkng for posting complaints about Menards, then posting anything you can find negative about the person, you are also posting incorrect information. Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc., do not have similar policies as Menards for gas powered equipment.

Example: (Home Depot) "Gasoline-powered equipment may be returned within 30 days of purchase with a valid sales receipt." They, and most others except Menards, allow the item to be returned within 30 days even with gas in it, even if it's broken, and they send the unit for repair for you if that's the choice you make. :)