12701 Middlebelt Rd, Livonia, MI 48150, USA

Last year, I purchased over $3,000 worth of fencing. which resulted in my neighbors purchasing another $3,000 worth of fencing after seeing mine.

That's when we found out about the return policy. Even though I had used my debit card, I could not get a CASH refund when I tried to return unused material because my neighbor used his American Express card 1st and I paid with a Debit Card. So the returns were to be applied to my neighbors American Express Card which was unacceptable. So I had to receive only a store credit.

I spoke with the return manager, the store manager and it still resulted in me receiving a store credit for over $600. Who needs a store credit for that much money? I was appalled.

I will never purchase anything from Menard's again on the same bill with someone else. My problem was that it was not explained to us how returns would be handled because we paid with 2 different methods PRIOR to the purchase or we would have purchased the materials differently on 2 seperate receipts.

Product or Service Mentioned: Menards Customer Care.

Reason of review: Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy.

Comments

Agree the story doesn't make sense. You make it sound like you made a purchase, then later your neighbor made a purchase. They wouldn't have tried to refund YOUR purchase on some random person's credit card...how would they even know you are neighbors?

Something in your story isn't adding up.

Your post doesn't make sense. Did you use your neighbors credit card to purchase your fence?

If you had used your debit card to purchase your materials and returned your materials with your receipt you would have been given credit to your debit card for those materials. If on the other hand you took back the extra materials and used just his receipt that he used his credit card for the credit would go to his card. The only other option would be to take a store credit. Their return policy is clearly posted and it states that you will either get a refund in the manner the purchase was made or a store credit.

The reason they don't give cash back when you use a debit or credit card is the have to pay a percentage of your purchase to the bank.

They get those fees returned when the products are refunded to the card. Stores shouldn't have to take a loss on your returns.