Franklin Park, Illinois

Update by user Jul 01, 2013

This is great. So now a Menards representative has posted on a public forum that a customer is at fault. And he even went so far as to insult the customer too! Would you be so kind as to provide your store number and your name, so that I could follow up in person? Or are you going to be silent, just like the response I received from Menards itself.

And by the way, since you are "almost certain" that all Menards do it differently, maybe you should swing on by and see the massive propane tank at my Menards, with a sign that says "we fill your tank, no more exchanging, you get more propane from us, because we fill you up more than the other guys (admitting they overfill the tanks)." That was kind of the point of the post. But I'm not surprised that Menards wants their employyes to be ignorant and uninformed, since that way they can just ignore customers complaints, and assume their employees will just insult the customers on public forums instead.

I think my next step will be to forward the link for this posting to Menards corporate, to see if I get a response. I sent them back an email this morning asking how their "investigation" was going, since they said "they would look into it." It's been a month and a half so far, so that investigation must be pretty extensive, considering my propane tank is still sitting at their store in plain view of the parking lot.

At this point, I just think it's funny how poorly this company treats their customers. I would have rather had no response at all than a flat out lie that they would actually take some action.

Update by user Jun 19, 2013

It's been a month and no action from Menard's. I originally got an email saying "thanks for your concern and we are sorry, and we will look into this issue." This came from the store location itself.

The complaint to corporate was simply ignored.

No action since then. But I don't expect anything to happen.

It looks like they are selling the store. Maybe I'll be lucky, and a worthwhile hardware store will buy the location.

Update by user May 21, 2013

So say I had a receipt. How does that combat the "you have no evidence that you didn't cause this problem" excuse.

It's not the receipt that bugged me, I could come up with proof that I was there and purchased the propane (and they could too, if they were willing to do just a couple minutes of investigating). It was the complete disbelief that their staff overfilled my tank and damaged it that ticked me off.

The sign on the filling station boasted how "you get a better value here, because we fill your tank more than the other guys." Proper filling of a propane tank involves weighing the empty tank, determining the amount of remaining fuel inside, and then weighing the tank as you fill it, to ensure that you don't overfill it. The customer should then be charged for the exact amount of fuel added to the tank, taking into account that some tanks may not be entirely empty. My bill was exactly $18.00 for each tank. So something is clearly wrong here.

Original review posted by user May 19, 2013

I am writing today to express my negative experience the Melrose Park, Illinois store today. I have been a lifelong customer of Menards, and my family business has an account at your Melrose Park store.

I refilled two propane tanks at your store on 4/15/13. The staff member who filled the tanks was very helpful, and I was pleased with the process. I got the tanks home into my garage, and smelled some propane immediately. I thought nothing of it, and figured that the relief valves were just equalizing the overpressure from the recent refill.

The propane smell got increasingly worse over the two or so weeks, and the tank became a hazard to my home. Propane was pouring out of the relief valve, but when I attempted to hook up the tank to my grill, no propane would come out of the tank. I checked with the manufacturer of the tank, and was informed that once a relief valve "pops" from overfilling, the valve was damaged, and would have to be replaced. I decided to return the tank to the store to see what could be done.

When I got to the filling station, a staff member was very kind and took me inside to speak to the head cashier. I spoke to this head cashier, who informed me that without a receipt, she could not help me at all. I understood that a receipt was important, but even the rebate kiosk system was unable to track down my purchase, due to the propane being on a different system. The rebate kiosk was able to display my dozens of recent purchases however. I was told by this head cashier that "I had no proof that the refilling damaged the valve on my tank." I politely explained that the tank was working properly before being refilled, was refilled, and then was not functioning properly. I also explained that the tank was a hazard to my home, and I would not keep it there anymore. I also noted that had there been an explosion in my garage, we would have a completely different situation. I attempted to politely reason with the cashier, that all I asked for was a new tank, filled with propane. I even said that I would tank an empty tank, and get it filled somewhere else, and take the loss on the propane. No harm, nor foul.

The tipping point was when the store manager came to speak with me. He was very friendly, but insisted that there was "no way" that the refilling could have damaged the tank valve. There was a relief valve that would activate to expel overpressure, and no damage would result. I asked him if there was anything that he could be done, and he said no. There was no way that his staff could have damaged the tank. Funny to note is that he said absolutely nothing about a receipt.

So I'm confused about the receipt issue. If I had a receipt, what would I have been given? Remember, I even said that I would take an 'empty' tank, and walk away, no big deal. I made the mistake of presuming that a simple task as refilling a propane tank could be done without damaging it. I will take that fault. But if I had that receipt, I was still told that there was no way that the tank could have been damaged. So what is the big deal about the receipt? The head cashier and her manager continued to tell me that they needed a receipt. Now this is where my confusion lies. Had I possessed said receipt, what good would that do? My credit card statement shows "Menards fuel, the store number, and $18.00" for each transaction for 4/15/13. Is that sufficient? I'm confused, because not only was I told that i didn't have a receipt, but that how was I to prove that it was Menards fault?

All I was looking for was some common sense. People don't save the receipts to their propane refills, just like I don't save the receipts to the gas in my car. It's not a stereo, I don't expect there to be a problem within the timeframe for return, making me save the receipt. What I was most offended by was the insinuation from every staff member and manager that I was clearly not aware of how a propane tank works, and that there was no way that the fault was on the staff member who refilled the tank. And at the end of the day, even if there was no proof of who caused the damage, it goes a long way to just say "we're sorry for your inconvenience sir, we realize we can't give you a full refund, but here's an empty tank so that you can go exchange it at the local gas station."

I left the tank at your store. It was a hazard to my home, and it was not going back there in my car with me. As far as I am concerned, it is the problem of your store, and no longer my property, because it was damaged on your premises. I will not take it back.

Product or Service Mentioned: Menards Rebate.

• refill

Comments

At the Menards I work at, you give us your empty tank, and we give you a full one. No "filling" required.

So I'm confused as to why this is possible. I am almost certain all Menard's have similar policy because it makes sense.

It sounds as if you are at fault and by taking this damaged propane tank to the store you are now causing a health hazard to many more people than just that of those in your home. That is careless and irresponsible.

Bigcarm40 I think you are right to be upset Menards is running you around. They can tell you about releif valves on their system and that there is no way it can damage your tank but the simple fact is you had a tank that worked before you brought it in but after filling the releif on the tank is popped its simple 1+1=2 Logic.

I am a maintenance engineer and the only thing for certain is that equipment fails. I can't speak for what truly happen in your case for sure but what I can tell you is that propane should be filled to a level not a pressure because with temperature the pressure rises. The pressure releif on the filling station is to prevent the operator from over pressurizing while filling its strickly a safety for that purpose. It is likely that the tank was filled to to high a level in a cooler enviroment then your garage and when you took it into your garage it over pressurized that would clearly be the fault of the company filling the tank.

Menards should be thankful they are not in ledigation over an exploded garage. The manager at the store is an ***.

To Russ'e comment saving receipts is never a bad idea but I noticed that this person is a bussiness owner there is a point where it becomes inpractical to save every receipt. Heartless your an ***.

I save all receipts, simple solution!

Menards can't do anything for you in this situation; lack of a receipt and evidence that you did not cause the issue. The interesting part is your so worried about your safety after the fact, but your dumbazz let it sit around for two weeks in your garage with out worry :).

@Heartless

Me thinks Heartless is a shill