Menards Truck Rental Scam

On Sept. 21st, 2013 @ 4pm I rented a truck from Menards to pick up siding that I had special ordered. I went to the store to pick it up and I also purchased more wood. I had several Menard's employees help me load the rental truck, I said I could load it, but they insisted, so be it. In total I had 5 Menards employees load up the truck and climb over it. In total...

- 1 Menards employee helped load the truck with me in front of the store

- 2 Menards employee helped load the siding in the truck in the back of the store at dock 9. Your employee was helping pull the staples out of the siding on that side that she claims the scratch was upon using a tin snip. He was

pulling the staples out of the cedar siding and I told him to stop, I'd do it when I got home.

- 1 Menards security guard in the rear of the store in the lumber yard was on the side of the truck that had the scratch checking the contents of the truck bed. Before I left the lumber yard he pulled 1 board from the

back because the special order had 1 too many boards in the order. I was ok with that because I only wanted to take what I purchased.

- 1 Menards employee helped me unload the truck after I returned it with lumber I hadn't used and wanted to return.

- The lady who processed the truck return was not the same one who had initially rented the truck from me.

- I had a friend with me who help me unload the truck at home from the rear.

- I told the front desk manager I had several Menards employees help me load/unload wood on to the truck during the afternoon. I saw them and one of your asst managers was with me (Marlina) and did hear him state, yes, several employees did help me load/unload wood on the truck. At this point the front desk manager Tania Villamil processed my truck return and was talking with her front desk Ast mgr (Marlina???). When I approached, they talked briefly in Spanish in front of me, which I couldn't follow. Since I don't speak Spanish, I don't know what they said, but from my take, Marlina's answers were short and pointed. After this short conversation it was at this point Tania informed me the truck had 1 scratch on the trucks rear drivers side and that I must of caused it.

After trying to reason with her, she was admament I caused the scratch, even though she was not the one who initially rented the truck out to me. I had loaded/unloaded the truck from the back and asked to see the scratch. Tania sent Marlina the asst mgr out with a camera to photograph it along with me. When Maria went to photograph the scratch, she had trouble even seeing it herself and it took a minute or two for her to locate it on the rear driver side quarter panel above the truck tire. The scratch can only be seen if you are literally an inch or two away from it, its that faint.

At this point I know a scam when I see one and this is just another attempt by Menards to create a new revenue stream for them. Since I entered the truck through the rear to unload, , and at least 2 of Menards employees were in

the vicinity of where the mark was, I did not sign the return agreement, agreeing that I had caused the mark. After trying to talk to the store manager and resolving the dispute, 3 days later they filed a claim against my insurance. At this point I will now have to file a small claims case against them to recoup my money.

At this point I'm wondering if any other people have had similar issues with Menards and would like to join in a class action lawsuit against them?

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 31 Yes 31 13 No 13
Had the same issue 137 Yes 137
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Mar 24 #1133515

What a bunch of asshats. I worked for them for 6 years and know exactly how shady they are, but never expected them to be so blatant as to go rental scamming people, ***.
You have to be completely adamant about these kind of things, even when people get defensive or angry about it. I *** near got in a fist fight with an old man renting U-Hauls once because I was renting on corporate account, he refused to do walk through of the vehicle's condition BEFORE I signed the paperwork, so I put my foot down (F-bombs included). People are just lazy and complacent to the point of being completely willing to take advantage of each other so you gotta look out for yourself ultimately.
Anyway, I'm not sure even their agreement absolves them of the burden of proof in this instance, and the damage is so minor (with nothing but a signed piece of paper as testimony to the pre-rental condition of the vehicle) that I even wonder if they can get anything anyway.

Jan 09 #1091587

Menards in Kalamazoo is trying this same type of scam on me. Don't trust them.

Dick Blazer

May 12, 2015 #983333

Another *** who can't read a rental agreement.

2 11 Reply

Apr 10, 2015 #970520

Class Action lawsuits are no good. You get far less than if you sue them in a private suit. Why share they money you are owned with strangers who were not part of the problem or solution?

2 0 Reply

Dec 27, 2014 #921740 New York, New York

This person has the right to be mad. If she wasn't guilty of a crime ...she shouldn't have to pay for there mistake.

6 0 Reply
Sorry for you

Jul 29, 2014 #848028 Powell, Ohio

Get a life man!

3 11 Reply

Jun 30, 2014 #834081

class action lawsuit? Dude, that's a little over dramatic.

3 6 Reply
this is great

Jun 29, 2014 #833604

you got some issues..
a class action suit? too funny

2 5 Reply

Apr 23, 2014 #808228 Edgerton, Wisconsin

I had rented a insulation blower from them at 9:35am, well at least that's when the paperwork was STARTED. Then waited for a Menards personnel to help retrieve the unit, and 2 garbage cans filled with hoses, and electrical cords. Then haul outside right outside the door, then lift up and secure load in back of my truck. Then a 20 minute ride to my home, another 15 minutes to unload and hook up the essentials. This was done on a 4hr rental, I brought it back at 1:50pm, all the while thinking when I left the store after loading I glanced at my clock and it said 9:46, so figuring 4hrs from that would make it about 1:46pm. No, they charged me for extra half hour (ok, it's only 5 bucks, so no biggee) Well, after she said there would be an extra charge, I was like WTH, I'm 4 minutes late. She said....No, your 15 minutes late. Ya see, when you rent a pc of equipment that rental agreement starts the minute she starts to fill out the paperwork(yawn), doesn't take into account "THEIR employee had to help retrieve, and load it. So their rental equipment is just based on an employee filling out paperwork, (and yet mind you Menards is paying that person to fill out that paperwork iregardless) Then collecting a tad bit more by tacking on preparation of said paperwork, and loading by a payed employee, all against my rental usage of the machine. No wonder when you tell them your address, they smile.....She stated, "it's policy"

1 3 Reply

Apr 10, 2015 #970521

As soon as you start the rental process the unit is your for the duration. They cannot rent it out to someone else at that point so they justify it by including the paperwork and loading times. Just be glad they don;t insist on the unloading time as well since it technically isn't back in their possession until after it has been unloaded from YOUR truck.

0 0 Reply

Mar 29, 2014 #799925

Thank you for your story. I was going to try and rent a truck from Menards, but your story and other experiences that have been written have changed my mind.

8 1 Reply

Sep 28, 2013 #722790

When you rent ANY vehicle it is your responsibility to look it over for damages and make sure they are noted with leasing company.
I realize that you probably did not make the scratch.

Rental car agencies do this ALL the time. It is a resource of revenue for them.
However you need to be in a "Buyer beware mode" when renting any product.

4 0 Reply

Sep 28, 2013 #722800

You are correct, it has always been "Buyer beware" when renting vehicles. The thing that is so irritating about this whole saga is there is a flaw in their rental process, and rather than fix it and make both parties happy, they are knowingly exploiting it to the consumers detriment. The only way something like this will change is if enough people complain and get the laws changed, but at this point I don't see it happening anytime soon.

0 1 Reply

Dec 30, 2014 #922987 Port Charlotte, Florida

Your right the co. Should have documented any prior damage and had the customer sign off on it. Just like renting a car. Also your ins. Co. Has the right to refuse payment and co. Would have to file a complaint in civil court and you can file a motion to dismiss.. If your ins. Co. Pays the claim and tries to charge you with accident file claim against ins. Co. For breach of contract...

Sep 25, 2013 #721830 Thunder Bay, Ontario

You never did say what menards was going to charge you for the scratch? Did you bring the scratch to their attention is that what started this?

Sep 25, 2013 #721836

No, Menards front desk manager started the whole mess. She was not the one that did the initial walk around of the car that I signed out. Given the time of day and the lighting, its very hard to tell if this was already there to begin with. The insurance company is waiting for the claim amount. I've been told by an auto-body repair place I've used in the past that something like this is less then $100, but who knows, they may ask for a new paint job at this rate.

Sep 25, 2013 #721738 Minot, North Dakota

I'm sure it's in some policy the corporate office put into place that they are following because that's what they are told to do. They are just doing their jobs, besides speaking Spanish in front of you. That is just rude! And would not be tolerated at most Menards.

The part about your complaint that really gets to me is YOUR POINTING ALL THE BLAME ON THE PEOPLE WHO HELPED YOU. It's funny because people come on here all the time to complain about how NO ONE HELPED THEM LOAD UP THEIR ITEMS! Menards employees can't win. They do the best they can but they will always get the blame from the ignorant consumer.

Regardless that it's a very minor scratch can you prove you did not do it? NOPE YOU CAN'T.

1 3 Reply

Sep 25, 2013 #721763

Well, let's see. If an employee of the store damages the store property, even if the property is rented out to you, its still their fault, regardless if its in my possession or not. The store is still liable for the damage.
Either way, the insurance company just called and said this looks like a bad claim on Menards part. We shall see how much they are asking. I suspect this will go to independent 3rd party arbitration at this point. It will come down to who has the best lawyers I guess.

2 1 Reply

1-20 of 23 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Menards. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Menards.
Filing a new complaint about