19.9K views

Update by user Oct 02, 2012

Hello, all who purchased the Forest King Log Splitter from Menards.Here is the scoop on what I did.

I took it back withing the 30 day period. They (Menards) tried to screw me around with this but the gave in later. It comes down to the old saying. The Squeaky wheel will get the grease.

But if you used your splitter for some time then you need to get it fixed through Menards and they will tell you were you can take it.

If you cannot find the manual for yours. I find that if your temper doesn\'t flare and your direct to the point with Menards they will satisfy your issues. Also the Log Splitter has a Spline problem or did have. The company that built them is aware of it and will send you what you need to repair it.

Trust me on that one. In my case I wanted a better product not one built in China. Seems to be a big problem these days.

Go vote and keep working.Don\'t bend into the entitled ways of life.

Original review posted by user Feb 21, 2012

Purchased this Log splitter from Menards three weeks ago. I was told its made in California. There was no information saying other wise anywhere. Then the add says some assembly required. It should have said most of the Assembly is required and take two people to complete.

The worse part is the hoses are poor quality. They are leaking oil due to the design.

The welds on mine are poor and some cracked off already after 6 hours. Yesterday the splitter engine to pump connection disintigrated while running. So its down.

So Don't buy it pay a bit more.

Had an Experience with Menards?

Comments

Newark, Ohio, United States #1274811

I have one of these things for almost four years now. Other than the reflectors getting knocked off with a falling log, I have had absolutely no issues with it. VERY happy with this purchase!!

It is quite obvious that some of you had issues and for me it was a night mare.However, this all was resolved.

So when you have issues with this Splitter. call the help lines in the manual.

Just recently I noticed a new splitter at Menards in Marrinette WI. This spliter a 30 ton appears to be a product built using all the info spread around by Pissed costumer site and put into a blueprint. Built, and now is selling at Menards.

Check that one out. Has what I got look silly.

So it time to share ideas and improve this splitter. That's done.

Results are now on the market.Mission complete.

We had issues with the coupler, if I remember right.Replaced with better items from Grainger, not a huge deal.

I preheat mine to start easier when its below 40 F.I've never had a problem with it since fixing the coupling, splits great.

I've had mine for three years with very few issues. Probably split 12 to 15 cords a year.

I have had my 22 ton splitter from menards for a year now and have not had any malfunctions until last weekend.A hose blew because I let somebody borrow it.

It splits anything I put on it.I am very happy with the choice I made

I beg to differ.I borrowed the band new 22 ton splitter from a buddy.

This unit TORE through an oak that measures over 5' @ the base & the crown, model # YTL23308.

It ripped through knotty oak not like butter but we abused it & it got the job done & then some.No complaints here!

I have this same splitter for about three years now .My uncle and I bought them at the same time two of them.

First thing he noticed is the set srcrew in the lve joy was loose. That is what is happening to them that they fly apart.

So take your gaurd of and just put lock tight on the set screw and probalem solved.We even rent our machines out lol

James Marchetti
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States #907767

Ask Menards.Or go to the manual and get a number off of that to call they will get you parts for this splitter.

What broke?

Mountain View, California, United States #907663

Purchased my Forest King Log splitter at Menards 2 years ago and have split a number of loads of wood, probably 4 or 5 cord.It starts first pull and have had no problem with it other than my own dumb fault.

Only problem I broke a part yesterday and have no idea where to replace it.Bob

James Marchetti
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States #905520

Hey this guy that says he did this in 20 min.is all wet.

Had one, took it back based on its poor performance.

I know that it cannot be uncrated in 20 min. So he bends the time a little. By 3 hours or more.

You sir, may have one of many that work.

Lucky you.The new one on sale now is very nice.

Have a nice splitting day.