Vestaburg, Michigan
7.7K views

Please think twice if you want to buy Jeldwen windows. We just bought a houseful of windows all made by Jeldwen because menards told us they were good windows.

We had problems with 2 of the windows. We contacted Menards and Jeldwen and I cant get help from anyone. So now we sit with bad windows and no one will listen. Menards tells me its Jeldwens problem.

So I contact Jeldwen and all I get is an old woman who tries to give me excuses on why the windows are not their problem.

Our bay window looks like some 2 yr old took a calk gun to it. And we have a window that leaks.Its to bad someone wont take responsibility for this.

Comments

Jeld-wen makes a number of different models of windows. You get what you pay for.

Buy the lowest priced series you also get the lower quality window. Pay more and get a higher quality line.

Works the same way for Andersen. The 100 series isn't the same quality as the 400 series.

@Anonymous

totally wrong , problem is that the same guy puts the 100 and 400 series together at factory. we 400 series windows from Andersen that also have subpar caulk job for the job we are doing now.

the house we did before this one also had 400 series andersens in which caulk job was good but on one of the sliders madman at factory with pin nailer had pin that shot thru clad scratching fixed door when opened. main problem is the workmanship (immigrants working for cheaper labor).everyone wants high quality with fast(cheap) labor which will never happen.

My father had a similar problem with Jeldwen. He told me when I was window shopping for my home to absolutely avoid Jeldwen. They do not stand by their product

We purchased Jeldwen sliding windows for both porches. The complaint I have is the flimsy screens.

The are so easy to pop out and the dogs and just hit them and they twist like a pipe cleaner.

Do you have any suggestions on replacing the screens with a stronger metal? What good is a porch if the windows have to stay closed?

Jeldwen have never been known for their wonderful quality. And as a general rule of thumb, don't buy exterior doors or windows from Menards - they'll sell what they can get the most profit from. That is their general business practice for the rest of the store as well - hence the lack of Honda, Toro, Lawn-Boy, or Ariens for snow throwers and mowers. I worked for them for awhile - they like to have someone make stuff to their specs and put "Tool Shop" or "MasterForce" on it and make some money. They keep cheap windows like Jeldwen to keep up with Home Depot and the low price keeps people coming in the door. That being said - great place for rough plumbing supplies and lumber.

If you're budget-conscious and know how to install or have a handyman who knows how to install windows properly, just wait for the Andersen Windows to go on sale at Home Depot. It happens 3-4 times per year - 10% off. And they are the same windows that you will buy at your window store or local lumberyard. As an example, I replaced 10 windows last year (old home, but used new construction windows because I hate replacements). Local window shop wanted $10,000 (just the windows, not labor or anything else). Home Depot was just under $5,000 with the 10% off. They are the top of the line Woodwright 400 series from Andersen, and they haven't changed the design in at least ten years, so the guy in this thread who is saying they change models every three years is full of it. Maybe it's true with the brands that he sells, but that is not the case for all windows.

I've heard mixed views of Marvin, generally don't care for Pella on account of inconsistent manufacturing quality. My father was a representative for Andersen for 15 years, and while that might give me some bias, I used to go on house calls with him when something went wrong with the windows. So I saw the "bad stuff" that happens when people complain. 95% of it was just that the window was installed improperly. I saw him fix and/or replace quite a few, free of charge. I doubt that they still have that level of customer service since they went in-house with their own reps awhile ago, but the window quality has not changed. Just my two cents. Good luck and happy buying...

have jeld wen windows they leak from every nook and cranny period.. having nothing but excuses from jeld wen I have picures of snow inside my kitchen widows .. during a bad storm had water come from under the lower sash in onto my inside window sill again pictures to proof video of the cold winter air whistling thru the closed windows ..don't buy vinyl or plastic they suck ..they are weak in the summer and brittle in the winter never in my life have I had anything like this I been thru tornatos and my windows never leak water snow air or any thing like these do ..stay away far away

I have Jeld Wen windows, they all leak air badly. The company has been out twice to repair this problem.

New locks,insulation plus I caulked all windows myself and had to put plastic on them--still have bad air leak. I talked to a professional from the state about this problem, he said they were manufactured wrong or badly.

I'm scared that I'm going to be told theres nothing else they can do. Do your homework before you buy to save yourself head aches on all brands!!!

Building a new house in Nova Scotia and was recommended Jeldwen windows by our builder. Now not so sure after reading all the negative comments.

Is Jeldwen a relative company to Winnabago Industries Motor Coaches.

They also have a fantastic brochure, but a terrible product and the worst customer service ever?

The reason I bring this up is that I cannot afford two terrible and costly mistakes in one lifetime. :eek

@Laura Lee

Not sure what specific issues you are all having with Jeldwen but I've been nothing but extremely pleased with mine. I ordered 18 in various sizes that open and are fixed.

I replaced another top brand with these which in my opinion are way more energy efficient and absolutely beautiful.

Something is not right? Were they possibly seconds?

bought a sliding glass door and had it installed by professional and he told me he almost did not install because of the poor quality of the door.

The corners all have gaps through which you can see outside and we live in Missouri.

This a peace of s#$%^. No quality control and lousy manufacturing.

you will still have much better luck with the old woman from Jeld-Wen than you will ever have with the young(er) manager from Menard's. Good luck, I feel your pain.

Just had three Jeld-Wen vinyl replacement windows from Menards installed today- a tough job because our contractor had to fit three side-by-side together to to replace a single long, odd-sized casement window in our 150+ yr. old house.

They are beautiful- work like a charm, screens perfect.... Imagine my delight to get quality AND a fantastic price- assumed we'd have to have the window custom-made.

Jeld-wen windows, its quality is average, neither the best nor the worse. When comes to install new windows, make sure know what you are doing.

Plan carefully!!!!

If you are not handyman and without proper tools, get someone does it for you. Otherwise, save yourself money for a nice vacation!

When comes to install new windows, make sure know what you are doing. Plan carefully!

Special ordered my Jeld-Wen window from Home Depot. It arrived on time and I went over it with a "fine tooth comb" It looked just like what I had ordered.

I installed it myself and it looks great!! I am not a window contractor, just a guy not afraid to save a ton of cash by doing the work myself.

Wish I had read all these not so glowing comments before I spent my money. Menards said they were good windows.NOT I was willing to buy and one of their brands.

Water is now sitting in a puddle between the screen and window (sliders)after a rain. Hate them.

not the product they demonstrated. not PREMIUM as I thought I bought.

And folks, when buying windows - go to a window dealer. The big retailers are great for small remodeling projects, but you play *** getting any help with major issues.

Go to the people who specialize in the products you need. Sometimes, you will spend more money at the big retailers while trying to save money than you would if you went to a specialist to begin with!

as a window dealer, I do not recomment metal clad windows to anyone. Metal sweats, wood retains water and rots.

Therefore, no matter WHAT you do, your metal clad window will rot from the inside out. Common sense, folks!! Also, the majority of window companies are going to change the series name of their windows every 3-5 years. This makes any parts obsolete and voids any warranties.

But they are not going to tell you that.....Pay attention to the details, Pay extra attention to the installation. 99% of window problems are caused by improper installation.

I replaced one of my kitchen windows with a smaller Jeld-Wen replacement window to add cabinet space. I went with it because I was able to get a white aluminum exterior with unstained wood interior so I could match the existing windows minus the storms of course. Other than a slight scratch on the glass that I didn't notice til I had completed the install and removed all the paper from the glass, it turned out just as I wanted and works perfectly.

This year I plan on replacing the rest of the downstairs windows and will go with the Jeld-Wens again. They are the only company that offers what I want to keep the original look with new energy efficiency.

Jeld-Wen is also a local Dubuque company and I like to keep the money to home.

Should I encounter problems I'm sure they will be handled thru the proper channels. I might also add that while I'm a truck driver now, I am quite experienced professionally at window replacement/installation.

Jeld-Wen is also a local Dubuque company and I like to keep the money to home.