Menards - Mastercraft doors are still junk, same with customer service at Midwest Manufacturing

689 of 1508 Menards reviews

Fall 2011, we purchased six interior 6-panel PRE-painted doors from Menard's. We paid $25 extra per door as I thought it would be worth my time not to have to paint the primed ones. After the first 3 were installed, we noticed how crappy the paint job was. These are cheaply constructed doors - pressed sawdust & glue, probably - we knew that from the get-go, but the paint job was simply atrocious. There was brown showing through along the edges of the panels, giving the doors a dingy appearance. The edges of the doors were brown and didn't even look like they'd seen paint. I describe them as having been "misted" with paint. My husband says someone walked them through a room with paint VAPOR.

In June 2012, I wrote a letter to Menard's which the customer service person then forwarded to Midwest Manufacturing, telling them they needed to address this complaint. In late August, someone from MM responded asking for more information and photos. After they received the photos and descriptions, their response to us was that since we had purchased the doors out of existing stock, they could be inspected before leaving the store. If the doors were damaged, they should be exchanged. And "in good faith" they were offering us a $50 in-store credit.

My response to them was as follows:

"You stated that the doors were purchased out of [available] stock and therefore could be inspected before leaving the store. Perhaps the Mishawaka store is an anomaly, but the lighting is quite dim where the doors are located, the doors are stored in a recessed, multi-level arrangement, and the stock person chooses the doors while you pull around back to have them loaded, in our case, stacked into our minivan. They are also wrapped in cardboard that obscures portions of the door. It is difficult to inspect them before they are loaded.

At issue here is not damage, but quality control at your facility. Damaged doors would have been returned promptly to the store. These doors were poorly painted, made even more obvious when we purchased primed doors which I painted myself. Quality control is expected to take place at the manufacturing facility. Either these doors were not inspected carefully, or your company is selling doors that are badly painted. This not only reflects poorly on your company, but also on Menard’s who sells your products, and I believe, owns your company.

We paid $25 extra per door to have pre-painted doors versus primed doors in order to save the time involved in painting six doors. This totals $150 extra we paid for a painting job with no benefit, as now I have to repaint the doors. The offer of a $50 Menard’s in-store credit is a nice gesture, but it only covers the paint required to paint the doors that were supposed to be painted already. It doesn’t reimburse me for the hours required to do this painting. In view of this, I ask that you would consider increasing your offer to $100."

The response I received back was basically, "take or leave the 50 bucks." So we took the $50, which paid for the paint, but didn't make a dent in the labor involved in repainting (oops! sorry, PAINTING) six doors, which I did this week - at a labor rate of $2.22 an hour - still feeling angry and deciding to find a way to warn others NOT to EVER buy ANYTHING made by Midwest Manufacturing!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
689 of 1508 Menards reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Apr 04 #1139336

Just another pissed customer giving everyone a reason to NOT buy Mastercraft doors. I'm wondering how anyone could have possibly had a good experience with that company. I am absolutely disgusted with them and will never buy another door from them. I'm leaving my review everywhere so that, hopefully, I can save someone some time and money.
My experience with Mastercraft was absolutely awful. My husband and I bought a new front door from them for the house we purchased in January. There were issue with the door itself so I contacted the company. Here is my original email to them:
"My husband and I ordered the door on Saturday 1/9/16 and picked it up on Friday 1/15/16. Upon pick up, it was discovered that the door was missing the sidelight kickplate which was ordered, verified by the sales person and paid for. At pick up, my husband brought it to the attention of the sales associate and was told it would be sent Fed-Ex to us. This is unacceptable as the sales person we ordered with on 1/9 stated we were much better off to order the kickplate installed from the factory as it would be more resilient. We still have not received a kickplate.
We ordered the door with a handle and deadbolt bore. The holes were made through the door to accommodate the handle and deadbolt but did not allow for the door to close properly as the interior closing edge was not bored to house the locking mechanism. Because of this, we had great difficulty in finding hardware that would allow the
... Show more

Jul 19, 2013 #683492 Noblesville, Indiana, United States

your absolutely right, Menards and Midwest are in bee together and they manufacture and sell some of the cheapest doors I have ever installed. I will never buy another Midwest door ever, and believe me I let everyone know what trashy products Midwest makes. Store managers at Menards couldn't care less about your problem after you take the door either. Doors might not cost what a good manufactured door cost but after you get burned and spend time dealing with these non service people at Menards you will get the message real quick.

preamp

Aug 20, 2013 #703336 Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

what do you expect they have a turnover rate of about 65% a year they pay *** and you expect gold buy a good door at a real store with proporly paid employees and you might have a better time.

Heartless

Jun 22, 2013 #667943

Midwest Manufacturing was created by Menards and is owned and operated by Menards. It is basically Menards. Menards employees can see Midwest Manufacturing job openings via the Menards employee website and apply for promotions directly to Midwest Manufacturing as if it was the same company.

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Menards. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Menards.
Filing a new complaint about
×