Menards - Mastercraft doors are still junk, same with customer service at Midwest Manufacturing
Fall 2011, we purchased six interior 6-panel PRE-painted doors from Menard's. We paid $25 extra per door as I thought it would be worth my time not to have to paint the primed ones. After the first 3 were installed, we noticed how crappy the paint job was. These are cheaply constructed doors - pressed sawdust & glue, probably - we knew that from the get-go, but the paint job was simply atrocious. There was brown showing through along the edges of the panels, giving the doors a dingy appearance. The edges of the doors were brown and didn't even look like they'd seen paint. I describe them as having been "misted" with paint. My husband says someone walked them through a room with paint VAPOR.
In June 2012, I wrote a letter to Menard's which the customer service person then forwarded to Midwest Manufacturing, telling them they needed to address this complaint. In late August, someone from MM responded asking for more information and photos. After they received the photos and descriptions, their response to us was that since we had purchased the doors out of existing stock, they could be inspected before leaving the store. If the doors were damaged, they should be exchanged. And "in good faith" they were offering us a $50 in-store credit.
My response to them was as follows:
"You stated that the doors were purchased out of [available] stock and therefore could be inspected before leaving the store. Perhaps the Mishawaka store is an anomaly, but the lighting is quite dim where the doors are located, the doors are stored in a recessed, multi-level arrangement, and the stock person chooses the doors while you pull around back to have them loaded, in our case, stacked into our minivan. They are also wrapped in cardboard that obscures portions of the door. It is difficult to inspect them before they are loaded.
At issue here is not damage, but quality control at your facility. Damaged doors would have been returned promptly to the store. These doors were poorly painted, made even more obvious when we purchased primed doors which I painted myself. Quality control is expected to take place at the manufacturing facility. Either these doors were not inspected carefully, or your company is selling doors that are badly painted. This not only reflects poorly on your company, but also on Menard’s who sells your products, and I believe, owns your company.
We paid $25 extra per door to have pre-painted doors versus primed doors in order to save the time involved in painting six doors. This totals $150 extra we paid for a painting job with no benefit, as now I have to repaint the doors. The offer of a $50 Menard’s in-store credit is a nice gesture, but it only covers the paint required to paint the doors that were supposed to be painted already. It doesn’t reimburse me for the hours required to do this painting. In view of this, I ask that you would consider increasing your offer to $100."
The response I received back was basically, "take or leave the 50 bucks." So we took the $50, which paid for the paint, but didn't make a dent in the labor involved in repainting (oops! sorry, PAINTING) six doors, which I did this week - at a labor rate of $2.22 an hour - still feeling angry and deciding to find a way to warn others NOT to EVER buy ANYTHING made by Midwest Manufacturing!
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Review category
- Building Products
You May Also Like
- "I recently purchase several bags of a product advertised by the signage and sample display case at the Evendale Ohio store as Mini bark Nuggets, only to find out..."
- "I had a roofer, who was highly recommended by Menards(against store policy) not tarp my exposed roof when 2.8 inches of rain entered. Damages were extensive throughout the house.$83,000,..."
- "These door are bull ***...i paid 400 dollars for. A SECURITY door that had a 1000 break in warranty. ..beware they only cover if they burglars break threw the glass....they..."
- "I purchased a small canvas emergency pouch last November it was intended to hold personal items, medication, a torch and batteries things for an emergency. When it did not appear..."
- "They do not stand behind their products. Purchased chain saw it ran for less than 2 minutes and froze up and they said nothing they could do. DO NOT BUY..."
- "We canceled our service with WALMART Family Mobile in November 2016 and had the cell number ported to another provider. WALMART has continued to bill us without explanation and is..."
- "I ordered flowers for same day delivery on 8/29. Never showed. Called customer service 15 times the two times I got thru was hung up on but the on..."
- "Best breeder in michigan she will ship the dogs or use a carrier if you can't make it in person . She is doing and amazing job with the puppies..."
- "My 3 year old sofa and chair recliner is falling apart. The stuffing is all broken down, I can feel the springs in the chair and the side arm has..."