Menards - Mastercraft doors are still junk, same with customer service at Midwest Manufacturing
Fall 2011, we purchased six interior 6-panel PRE-painted doors from Menard's. We paid $25 extra per door as I thought it would be worth my time not to have to paint the primed ones. After the first 3 were installed, we noticed how crappy the paint job was. These are cheaply constructed doors - pressed sawdust & glue, probably - we knew that from the get-go, but the paint job was simply atrocious. There was brown showing through along the edges of the panels, giving the doors a dingy appearance. The edges of the doors were brown and didn't even look like they'd seen paint. I describe them as having been "misted" with paint. My husband says someone walked them through a room with paint VAPOR.
In June 2012, I wrote a letter to Menard's which the customer service person then forwarded to Midwest Manufacturing, telling them they needed to address this complaint. In late August, someone from MM responded asking for more information and photos. After they received the photos and descriptions, their response to us was that since we had purchased the doors out of existing stock, they could be inspected before leaving the store. If the doors were damaged, they should be exchanged. And "in good faith" they were offering us a $50 in-store credit.
My response to them was as follows:
"You stated that the doors were purchased out of [available] stock and therefore could be inspected before leaving the store. Perhaps the Mishawaka store is an anomaly, but the lighting is quite dim where the doors are located, the doors are stored in a recessed, multi-level arrangement, and the stock person chooses the doors while you pull around back to have them loaded, in our case, stacked into our minivan. They are also wrapped in cardboard that obscures portions of the door. It is difficult to inspect them before they are loaded.
At issue here is not damage, but quality control at your facility. Damaged doors would have been returned promptly to the store. These doors were poorly painted, made even more obvious when we purchased primed doors which I painted myself. Quality control is expected to take place at the manufacturing facility. Either these doors were not inspected carefully, or your company is selling doors that are badly painted. This not only reflects poorly on your company, but also on Menard’s who sells your products, and I believe, owns your company.
We paid $25 extra per door to have pre-painted doors versus primed doors in order to save the time involved in painting six doors. This totals $150 extra we paid for a painting job with no benefit, as now I have to repaint the doors. The offer of a $50 Menard’s in-store credit is a nice gesture, but it only covers the paint required to paint the doors that were supposed to be painted already. It doesn’t reimburse me for the hours required to do this painting. In view of this, I ask that you would consider increasing your offer to $100."
The response I received back was basically, "take or leave the 50 bucks." So we took the $50, which paid for the paint, but didn't make a dent in the labor involved in repainting (oops! sorry, PAINTING) six doors, which I did this week - at a labor rate of $2.22 an hour - still feeling angry and deciding to find a way to warn others NOT to EVER buy ANYTHING made by Midwest Manufacturing!
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Review category
- Building Products
You May Also Like
- "These door are bull ***...i paid 400 dollars for. A SECURITY door that had a 1000 break in warranty. ..beware they only cover if they burglars break threw the glass....they..."
- "I purchased a metal frame building from Versa Tube, which their engineers designed for the area of Minnesota I live in. The building collapsed! I purchased a VersaTube metal frame..."
- "Two months ago we ordered a Marvin Ultimate Sliding French Door, supposedly the best of the best on the market. In fact, 10 years ago we ordered the same door..."
- "I recently spent $180 for Nike Air Max only to have the shoes split open on each side in the same spot!! As you can see from photos these shoes..."
- "I ordered flowers for same day delivery on 8/29. Never showed. Called customer service 15 times the two times I got thru was hung up on but the on..."
- "Best breeder in michigan she will ship the dogs or use a carrier if you can't make it in person . She is doing and amazing job with the puppies..."
- "I bought a bag for my daughter to take for her Karate uniform. She used the bag a time and a half, as after 3 times zipping up the zipper,..."
- "I used thumbtack for a contractor and you are right no accountability. It took 3 weeks to get a very small kitchen remodeled with. Countertops. Floor, backsplash. Cabinets and..."
- "PHILIP MENICI CRIMINAL ENTERPRISE BEWARE DIGREGORIO & MENICI is business registered with the Office of the City Clerk of Boston. The file number is 14001751. The address is 152 Salem Street..."