52 views
Verified Reviewer

I was shopping at your store @ 708 North 120th St., Omaha ne, 68164, on the date mentioned above.

I frequent this store approximately 2-3 times a week for work for the past 6+ years. I was checking out as I usually do and was approached by an employee which accuses me of stealing a programmable door lock.

I explain to him that I wasn't even near the door lock section and explained to him exactly where i went in the store.

He proceeded to raise his voice and tell me that there are cameras everywhere and that I was lying because they had me on camera. I asked to see camera and he denied.

He then said the police were going to be called and I will be searched, which I agreed to.

I waited in a room for 20 min. or so and he came back with a Milkbone dog treat box stating that I was seen cutting open box and inserting the said lock into box and was trying to seal it back up with packing tape that I had supposedly took from shelf also.

I then stated that it was not me a that I have been shopping here for the last 6+ years and felt I was being harassed. He then left the room and I continued waiting for approximately another 15 mins.

He returned and said that he apologized and that I was free to go.

No real explanation other than "I fit the description of person on camera."

I understand shoplifting happens and I also understand needing to investigate. What I do not agree with is being yelled at and the attempted intimidation tactic that was used. I felt they treated me as guilty until they can prove I was innocent. Police never showed up which I would have been more comfortable with.

I'm not even sure if they were even called.

Yes, they apologized and stated they were embarrassed, but I was the one that was taking to the back in front of customers and also cashiers that I have come to know over the years. Also, if police were called and report of me being a suspected shoplifter was made, my job is then jeopardized as I am a Maintenace Director at an assisted living facility which is only 2,5 miles from the store.

Not sure what needs to be done, but bringing in to your attention.

Thanks,

Johnny Wedel

Preferred solution: Not sure. Possibly more training for staff.

Location: 708 North 120th Street, Omaha, NE 68154

Comments

#2092173

I would consult with an attorney to see if you could sue them for false detention.

Menards Reviews