Omaha, Nebraska
3.0
Ease of Use
Layout of Store

My husband and I were in Menards in Omaha, NE. We were purchasing wood flooring for our bedroom. In addition to the flooring, my husband was looking for a bit. He had his old bit with him so he could compare and make sure he got the correct one. While looking, he couldn't tell from the packaging so he opened the bit to look closer. It wasn't what he needed so he put it back, pushed the plastic back over and hung it back up.

We proceeded to check out, paying over $1200 for the flooring. As soon as we walked towards the exit, several employees surrounded us and accused my husband of STEALING a $2.24 bit!!! Are you freaking kidding me??? We would spend over $1200 but steal a $2.24 item? I was left to sit with all the flooring while my husband was pulled into the office upstairs, questioned and made to empty out his pockets.

When he explained that he had opened the packaging to look at the bit, an employee walked back down to the aisle and indeed......found the exact package that had been opened. My husband was lectured about opening packages in the store and sent on his way.

NO apology for the embarrassment caused. NO apology for how he was treated. NO apology for anything that happened.

I will NEVER shop Menards again. Suck it

Product or Service Mentioned: Menards Customer Care.

Reason of review: Idiot Employees.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Menards Cons: See complaint, Attitude of the store manager or guest services manager.

Comments

So...the only person that does anything wrong is your husband and YOU want a *** apology? Get over yourself.

MrSharkNasty

People steal all the time while making a large purchase, this is common knowledge in the retail world! All bit's have the size engraved on them, there is no reason to be taking anything out of the package to compare.

If it's a driver bit it will list #1 #2 #3 and so on. If it's a boring bit it will list 1/4th 1/2 and so on. An educated consumer would have went to the front desk and got a sticker for proof of entrance on such an item. Want better service?

BE A BETTER CONSUMER!

It's a two way street! You cannot hold places of business to high standards when you yourself cannot meet those standards either.

He should have received an apology but yes, people that make large purchases steal all the time. They may feel it is justified due to their large purchase or they may get the thrill of getting away with a small theft.

He was seen opening the package and putting a bit in his pocket, you can see how it appeared he might have taken a bit. Don't know which retailer you will shop now that you are NEVER shopping at Menards but realize that doing the same thing in other stores that are serious about stopping shoplifters may well end up with the same results.