1.8
Ease of Use
Layout of Store

Read the Menard's Sunday advertising and found the item I wanted on sale. The item wasn't in the store last week so I thought they had re-stocked since they were advertising the item.

Ran to the store to find my closest Menards was out of stock and so was every store in Iowa except for Ottumwa--that had 1. They would ship it to me for $15! The item only cost $27!! They wouldn't do an inter-store shipping so I could pick it up.

My question is: How can Menard's advertise something that is not available and will never be available?

It's a seasonal item. If it's not available--don't advertise it!!!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Menards Shopping Advertisement.

Reason of review: Not as described/ advertised.

Menards Cons: Availability of items.

• Advertising Availability

Comments

I hate when they do this, but it's not the definition of Bait-And-Switch. If it was a Crazy Days sale, they'll often put discontinued items up on the sale to clear out the end caps and such and make room for more merchandise.

Technically, the item is still available, you just don't like the availability. A bait-and-switch is when they don't carry the item at all and try to upsell you into something else. If they were subbing a lower quality item for being out of stock, that would have been illegal. Also, if you check Menards.com, you can see availability for your store and other stores in your area.

They can't ship store-to-store because their trucks don't go store-to-store. There's nothing that interacts between the stores. Your only choice is to have it shipped or go get it. It does suck, but I also have a hard time with why people get so mad about basically not getting their way.

Pamida used to do this to me all the time. I lived 20 miles from the store (small town) and I could go in the morning the ad came out and find the item I wanted gone. They'd offer a raincheck and then then I'd have to pop in now and then to see if the item had come in. No thanks!

So, I stopped shopping with them. Point is--everyone has the same option.

Pamida went out of business by me. Customers vote with their money...

#1419127

What item were you looking for? Not all items in their ads are stocked in the store, some items are special order. Thee the entire story if you want to be believed.