Phoenix, Arizona

My Grandson was standing with his Mother in a Menards in Ottuma, IA. The employee called my Grandson a "spic" when he found out his name was Pablo. My daughter talked to the manager and got nowhere. Corporate did not respond either. Here is the employee's response:

"I am tired of you people coming in our stores complaining about what we call you and shoplifting. I catch people all the time and tell them to stop coming over to my country to steal. Come into my store and I will stop you every time for shoplifting because you and your son probably are stealing something. The stores are on our side so contact them all you want, they won't respond and won't care because you people lie and we are just doing are jobs and it costs you poor bastards too much to fight. Get over it and move on........."

If they say this about an American born, middleclass caucasion boy whose is named after his Uncle in Spain, what do they do to children of color?

Product or Service Mentioned: Menards Manager.

• Daughter

Comments

Here's an idea, don't shop there. Stop being a *** cry baby and go somewhere else! Holy ***, problem solved!

I find this very hard to believe, however if this is true it does not surprise me the store refuses to do nothing. Menards is a very corrupt place.

John Menards the founder and owner was caught illegally dumping dangerous chemicals in his own garbage at home.

He is also a hardcore republican who only cares about himself. However, like I said very hard to believe this happened.

justice1982

This seems very odd the employee would write this down and give it to you. I believe we are only getting part of the story, but from the context of the "written reply by the employee of Menards" it appears your daughter may have been involved in some sort of shoplifting experience. To which I say don't point out the wrongdoings of others, until the ones at home are addressed.

@justice1982

No shoplifting was involved. My daughter was returning shades that were not cut correctly.

The employee was probably upset to have to recut them. I presume the remark was collectively pointed to Hispanics that all "you people" steal and are not American citizens.

I can understand a wrong statement made by an employee. I cannot understand a store condoning it.

You have to laugh it off. I am one that was born and raised in Eastern Kentucky.

I moved north at 19 and people here call me a Hill Billy all the time. You have to either accept it or go home because its just the way of people in this country. Maybe the employee didn't even understand what the word meant to you. I was very young and heard someone say a word I didn't know the meaning of.

I took it home and repeated it to my brother when he had shoved me.

My mother heard an scolded my and told me the meaning and never to use it again. Education helps!

@Marv

Like John Kerry said "In America, everyone has the right to be ***" (although he forgot to say that everyone also has the right to get shot for being ***)but even just-us (or "justice" as is spelled in American English)tells us that ignorance of the law is not an excuse to break the laws of this country. That, however, only holds to be true if you are the screwee and not the screwor!

Were you with them, if not how do you know all of this. If you weren't with them, you could have misunderstood what your daughter was saying.

As far as that goes your daughter could have not completely understood everything she was told, when I say this I mean not comprehended everything. Some people get angry and right away they quit listening completely, because they are so positive they are being insulted or ridiculed. As far as that goes if your daughter was as upset as you sound, she could have got carried away and exaggerated part of her story.

But as a mature woman I would never run to my parents and tattle about something so minor. If your daughter is old enough to have a kid, she is old enough to not run to Mommy and Daddy complaining.

@anonymous

The quote used was a written reply by the employee of Menards. I quoted it verbadim.

The employee never denied calling my Grandson a "Spic". The store did nothing and the letter sent to corporate by my daughter was not responded to. This continues on because of the written statement of this employee. What company allows this in their store?

The reason I put this here is as a grandparent, I cannot let this go.

What will my grandson think? My daughter is also persuing this because of the written statement quoted above.

@Dolores2013

I suggest you write to the Better Business Bureau...It usually get business to do business. I worked at Menards many years ago and, while most employees are usually counselled and educated to be pleasant and respectful to the clientele, there is always a *** that will do something wrong.

I am also Hispanic, but in my case I would have called the employee in accordance with his race. There are a lot of different names you could use, but one that fits most classes would be "***", without being afraid of any repercussions with the law, because there is nothing in the rule of law that says that you cannot call a *** a ***!

@Dolores2013

The word is spelled verbatim. You are also not supposed to end a sentence with to,or,it,etc.Sorry this happened,but just rise above it and go on with your life.We have all been through this kind of thing at one time or another,if this is the worst that ever happens to him he will be a lucky child.