One week ago I would have given this place a top five star review, but I'll be darned if the staff didn't cut me down to size today. I usually spend thousands of dollars every year at Menard's, usually at this Elkhart store, and have not had a problem for the last 20+ years. Unfortunately, after today, they get a four-star rating, (I feel like giving a one star, but can't do that from just one incident).
Here's the story; this morning I rented their insulation blower, (after buying nearly $400.00 in cellulose insulation), and when I took it back an hour and a half early, the woman at the service desk insisted on looking inside of the blower. I blew off with air, the outside and some of the inside of the hopper, but knew that some insulation was still in the bottom. I remembered that there was some in there from the last person when I rented it, and I also peeked at the other unit at the store, and it had enough insulation, that you could reach down inside and pull out handfuls of the stuff. There was nothing that said that I had to clean out down inside the hopper, but did try to blow it out after use.
Still this woman looked at it and said, "Oh this still has stuff in it. I'll give you a plastic bag so you can take it outside and clean it out. We don't do this here." I was amazed, since I thought that I was giving some liner to someone else to use, and didn't even know that this was still in the bottom. I remembered that there was some in there from the last person when I rented it, and I also peeked at the other unit at the store, and it had enough insulation that you could reach down inside and pull out handfuls of the stuff. There was nothing that said that I had to clean out down inside the hopper, but did run it for a time after use to try to run it all through.
Still this woman looked it in and said, "Oh this still has stuff in it. I'll give you a plastic bag so you can take it outside and clean it out. We don't do this here." I was amazed, since I thought that I was giving some liner to someone else to use, and didn't even know that this was required of me. The Menard's workers would not help me, but I had to cart the unit outside in the parking lot myself, tried to lay it down, but at 66 years old, I would have had to lay on my stomach to clean it, and couldn't even see where to clean it. I had to reach through the two bars in the unit, and use my fingers around the teeth in the bottom to get it cleaned, (there is a tag on the unit that says that hands should never go lower that the two bars). The only way I could do this myself, is to lay the unit on my knees at a 45 degree angle, holding on with one hand, and reaching in with the other to pull the insulation out. You can imagine the trouble I had placing that in the little trash bag, using only one hand.
When I took the unit back inside, (after being humiliated by all the people walking by, seeing me laboring, due to my insubordination), the woman looked in it and said, "well there is still a little left in there, but I'll let it go". Well, thank you ma'am, wow!
So now I start to read all the literature posted on the machine to see where it says that it must be totally cleaned before returning, (I was not told this upon renting the unit). The same woman walked over and asked if there was a problem, so I asked if she could just show me where it says that I have to clean inside the machine. At first she said that it was in my contract, but I quickly dispelled that, holding up the contract. Then she pointed to a sign about 8" X 6" that was located inside of the hopper. She told me what was on the sign, but the sign itself was almost totally obliterated, and I probably would not have paid any attention to it if I had actually seen it, sine it was nearly illegible, (only a few of the words could be made out).
I believe that if this was the policy and so enforced, that I certainly should have been told of this verbally at the time of renting. Now after writing this, I have decided to give this Menard's a 3 star instead of a 4-star rating. Writing this has made me upset again, so a 3 star is all they get for now. Just to be fair, all other Menard's, as far as I'm concerned, are five-star businesses. I hope that someday I can raise this rating to where it should be. Maybe this person has worked here too long, or maybe I should be going elsewhere.
More Review Details
|Product or Service Quality|
|Layout of Store|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Discounts and Special Offers|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Biased attitude of employee
- Reason of review:
- Biased (and possibly racist) service
- Preferred solution:
- Let the company propose a solution
- Product or service
- Menards Insulation Blower Rental
- Review category
- Supermarkets and Malls
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "i have provided proof and photo but they keep say give me time thing start on last year dec i inform nick tan area A district manager that someone is bring..."
- "If I had known that Mastercraft was a Menards company I would not have purchased the french patio door (special order for right hand swing out). When I went to..."
- "I received a "guarantee card" for an iPad mini in the store from an employee who had an entire cart full of iPads. I asked her if I could have..."
- "The alt-katolische Spitalkirche is one of the oldest Christian churches in Baden-Baden. It was first mentioned on the Spital legal instruments on March 1351. It was not far from the..."
- "100% FAILED, RECALLED Matress- their brand! I have a spinal fusion and now needd 2 surgeries.... I count on my mattress to be GREAT- so they claim- Admitted faulty product!..."
- "Different people twice tried to send me funds via ClearXChange. Each time, I was asked to register, and then the link said my CapitalOne bank was a partner, and then..."
- " i recently brought those jeans and as you can see they have a rip in them that i did not notice and the would not take them back even..."
- "There is so many things wrong with this fifth wheel bought New 2013, Heartland Silverado 37QB. just to name a few window's leak framework is terrible screws were not..."
- "My mum bought LG Leon H345 at TMobile 82nd St Jackson Heights NY at brand new price. She did not check the phone because she bought it in good faith...."