Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:
Show
I used to work at Menard and I hated it! They treat their employees like trash. I worked there for three years and had 3 different general managers while I was there and the treatment never changed. They always act like you are so disposable and don't do anything...
Ricochet-Rabbit

Heartless will be commenting here just as soon as he's done cleaning the Menards restrooms.

Menards in Bloomington, Minnesota - Lemon mower

Bought the last demo mower last season (2012). It was pre assembled. It started great in spring of 2013, however all of the bolts came loose during the first mowing. After inspection, mower was put together incorrectly (ie.. wheels now either tighten up so they can't turn or will loosen up so they collapse. Everyone wants to point the finger at someone else. Called the manufacturer, and they said it must have been a return. Don't ever buy an extended warranty from Menard's (especially on a pewer tool) because there is so much fine print --- the warranty isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

Extended warranties do not start until the manufactures warranty ends which is 2 years on mowers. I'm 100% sure that they told you this when getting the extended warranty and on all the paper work they sent you.

Seeing how it's only been 1 year it would be covered under the manufacture warranty not the extended warranty. With that being said the manufacture knows full well it wasn't a return because Menards does not accept returns on gas powered equipment once gas is put into(A manfacture recommendation to Menards. Menards employees are not qualified enough to determine if it was a consumer caused issue or a defect in the machine. Home Depot and Walmart have a similar return policy.

As far as assembly goes Menards only sells one mower that requires anything to be assembled by them, which is the cheapest gas mower they sell. All the other mowers all you do is flip up the handles and it's ready to go. I can assure you Menards did nothing to your mower and that it was not a return.

The manufacture is responsible here as long as you didn't abuse the equipment. I'd bet my life it was made by MTD, but what do I know.

What does the extended warranty have to do with this? The extended warranty starts after the manufactures warranty expires.

Most mowers have at least a 1 year warranty and most have a 2 year warranty.

If the mower is less than a year old the extended warranty is not in effect yet. I think you problem is understanding warranties and what your responsibilities are under the warranty.

View more comments (1)
  • fine print
Ordered 10 squares aluminum siding, salesman at desk told me OK on smooth. Guess what, he ordered textured and I signed the ticket. I should have caught the order but I paid and waited for the special order to arrive, now I am stuck with *** looking textured aluminum...

Hey, I had a similar experience with Clevenger. What an arrogant person!

Cannot believe he is running the store in Anderson. I have purchased thousands of dollars from that store and only to be treated like a low life. I am convinced Clevenger is in it for the bonus. His eye is on the dollar bill.

I have also heard from employees about the way he treats them.

I will not buy from that store again, and I will warn as many as I can to not shop there. Lowes is just a few miles north, and the service there is great!

Loss
I've noticed ALOT of people on here claiming to be menards employees who are rude and disrespectful and are trying to get a kick out of other peoples pain. Also the Team members complaining about their job. I started as a part-timer and i worked hard and did everything...

I have a slight step up on most of the people posting on here, I've personally done just about every job in this store. I've worked for 4 stores plus the GO, I know people who work in the door plant, block plant, countertops inc, and the distribution centers. Plus I've personally met John, JR, Larry, Gaylen, Scott, and a laundry list of other very businessmen men. They care about money not team members, and the only reason they care about the guest is the money they provide.

The hardest job in the store bar none?

-The general manager, they get to deal with all the guests yelling at them. FEM's have to deal with a great deal of being screamed at also, but realistically if it gets to rough the GM takes over.

The easiest job in the store?

-Morning stocking, you don't deal with many guests and you focus on just getting the products out.

Cabinets and Appliances is a mentally demanding job, until you master the computer. After that it's one of the easier jobs of the store, and most of the time when you screw up the GM is the one who gets to fix your problem.

Hardware is almost the most physically demanding job. Whether you accept it or not hardware is the largest department of the store. Most people forget to include shelving, garden center, seasonal, and automotive into this department.

Receiving is the most physically demanding job, everything in that store has went through receiving and has been moved by receiving.

Millwork is the easiest department in the store, very little freight, and paradigm is a very simple program to use.

Electrical, Plumbing, and Building Materials are the most mentally challenging departments. You need to be intelligent to thrive in them as you need to retain a lot of otherwise useless information. Building Materials is remembering the equations you didn't think you needed in geometry. Electrical and Plumbing are remembering what specific products are used for, and what contractors call the products.

Frontend (carryouts and cashiers), Wallcoverings, and Floorcoverings are all the departments that it is easy to slack off in.

I've worked for other retail establishments and Menards loved me as I am extremely retail orientated. But the politics of Menards are horrible, and the company truly does not care about it's employees. Which is why many of the team members hate their jobs, and take it out on guests. The pay is pathetic when you take out the 'bonuses' which are not guaranteed. And no I'm not a previous team member who got fired and is taking it out on the company. I'm a team member who left after being forced to lie to guests on a daily basis, and being forced to treat the guest like they do not matter.

I came in as a part-timer in a very small store, and I was encouraged to work off the clock to make payroll so the managers wouldn't lose their bonuses. Because we were such a small store we followed the bad service goes around more than good service philosophy. Every guest that came into our store was treated well regardless to how much they spent, because we needed them. I willingly worked off the clock to help, because I loved my job.

The bigger stores and the general office however, do not follow these ideals. And just so everyone does know, the managers do in fact go through yearly brainwashing at the general office. It's called seminars, also you are highly encouraged to go to political speeches by whatever republican official comes into town. Not to mention there is now in home training how to be a good citizen and vote.

It is an extremely corrupt company to work for if you *** the rose colored glasses. Which is why there are two different types of team members at Menards; you have people who are overly optimistic about their jobs, and the ones who absolutely hate their jobs.

So if you love working for Menards and are lucky enough to work for a small store, good for you. But don't talk for every one in this company, some people get to deal with the evils of the company. And like my boss said "They'll keep treating team members like this, and paying them this way until new employees stop coming." No I'm not joking someone pretty high up on the totem poll said this.

• middle class worker
I worked my *** off for Menard's, took people shifts when they needed it, also stayed late when they needed me. I even took the PFA classes for advancement and was moving up in the company . Never missed work.because one girl caused a problem and I done the right thing...

What you did is called job abandonment. You can be terminated for it and if that's how you conduct yourself at your job, I would have considered firing you too. Leaving because you want to and expecting others to pick up your slack is irresponsible.

• right thing
My rebate was number 3957 for buck-a-foot ladders. I purchased a 32 foot extension ladder, order no. 54379, at Menard's in Moline, Il on 26 April 2013. I submitted a rebate form which should have been for $32, but received a rebate in the amount of $1.00 in...

Contact the rebate processor with copies of your receipt and the rebate check in the wrong amount. They will correct the error. www.rebatesinternational.com Simple pimple!

Review
#411997 Review #411997 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Loss
So, I've posted about this before, I'm not gonna stop until justice is served. Menards wronly terminated me just because somebody i thought was a friend shoplifted there to lead to me being wrongly terminated. Now, if i was involved and it was proven, i would've done...

There is no law saying that an employer can only confirm past employment, job title and dates. Many companies per policy only say that much so that they can't be sued. But reason for end of employment is a common question.

Update by user Jul 01, 2013

This is great. So now a Menards representative has posted on a public forum that a customer is at fault.

And he even went so far as to insult the customer too!

Would you be so kind as to provide your store number and your name, so that I could follow up in person? Or...

At the Menards I work at, you give us your empty tank, and we give you a full one. No "filling" required.

So I'm confused as to why this is possible. I am almost certain all Menard's have similar policy because it makes sense.

It sounds as if you are at fault and by taking this damaged propane tank to the store you are now causing a health hazard to many more people than just that of those in your home. That is careless and irresponsible.

• refill

Menards in Kalamazoo, Michigan - Pre-paid and sold out from under

Paid for 7 sections of stockade fencing on Saturday, told I could get them delivered on Sunday (paid for that too). Now I'm told my pre-paid order got sold out from underneath me and no more is available, and might not be indefinitely. In most cases a business will take it on the chin and say "you know what, this was our fault, let us give you an upgrade of available material at no extra charge" but no, that's not the way they do things. Why would I go back to Menards when there is apparently always the chance that what I have bought and paid for may be sold out from under me as I'm waiting for delivery? Courtesy of the fine folks at the Wyoming Michigan location, delivery coordinator said his GM refused upgrade and that "floor people" have been selling items marked as pre-paid. Was able to call Lowe's and get the same thing in stock and delivery scheduled.

This happens all the time at my store; often people prepay patio furniture then it's not pulled or tagged and someone comes along and buys it... Menards can't do anything for you once this happens.

Should it happen, no... but it does. Often the core issue is communication issues.. Sometimes people are buying stuff at the same time and they don't know it.

I could be over at the desk writing up the invoice for your stuff; while another employee is loading up the last of it into someones cart. Menards cannot do anything for you in this situation besides apologizes and tell you when the next order is coming in so you can get it then.

Menards does not hold every product sold at their stores...it's called cash and carry. If you prepay and don't take there is a chance it won't be there.

The fact that you set it up for delivery and it wasn't there makes it a little different. I'm guessing by the time the employ went to pull it for delivery it was gone.

I do agree they should have gave you a comparable product.

@Jimmy

Jimmy doesn't know what he is talking about. Once the item is prepaid the item is suppose to be pulled into the special order pick up area or back to the delivery bay and tagged.

Setting up a delivery does not matter, someone failed to do their job of getting it to the correct area in this case it was the delivery bay. Cash and carry is a silly term you just made up, never been referenced at my store.....

Putting an item on hold unpaid is a different situation, but once the item is paid for it belongs to the person who paid for it. If they do not pick it up in roughly 30 to 90 days it can be redounded and put back on the floor for sale depending on the store.

@Heartless

Heartless, I usually agree with you on many of these complaints. But, cash and carry is a term that is pretty known in our stores, it is actually printed in the fine print of our ads(found on the last page).

It's part of our policy actually, policy states that we are not allowed to pull pre-paids (with the exception of the new online pick up at store feature). With the most busy stores we actually have a strict policy of not pulling a pre-paid for storage reasons. If you pull a pre-paid that is not made through the online system you are breaking the policy. I deal with this on a daily basis, pre-paids secure the price not the physical item, only a special order will secure the item.

(*** I know, but it is our policy. Blame the guy with his last name on the building.)

View more comments (3)

Menards in Troy, Michigan - Ex-Employee

I only worked three and 1/2 days the way they treat there customers and there employees are not good. You have to beg for a 10 min break same with your 30 min lunch. And if that was good enough they don't know how to pay there people for working there. I would never even let my dog work there.Not to mention they don't look out for there employees in the means of customers who get mad because there is to be something on sale and they go to check out and it ends up another higher price or they dont have enough stuff that is on sale, and better yet they doubke charge people of things.

I think you are going to have a rough road ahead of you with that attitude. Menards may not be the best job in the country but it is a job.

What did they do that was so terrible to you? Was it that they expected you to wait for your break or lunch for a short period until there was an opertunity for you to take it? I am noticing a disturbing trend people have become so whiny, lazy, and expect everything to be handed to them. This is a bussiness they are trying to make a profit that is the purpose of opening a bussiness.

I wonder where do you plan to work where they don't have expectation from you? Every job comes with things we don't like but thats life sometimes we have to deal with that and go on there is no job that will be perfect all of the time. It seems to me that there are far worse jobs to have then anything Menards can throw at you. Ultimatly it is your decision to either go to work and do what is expected of you or to find another job.

Or there is a 3rd option which I assume, since you went out and found this job, that you do not wish to choose and that is to lay around and live off of others.

I know I came down hard on you it is not personal I just hope you can realize for your own good that work isn't always fun it is a necesary evil but if you are diligent about it you have the opertunity to work up to a better job. Thats the American way my friend.

It's impressive you picked that much up about the place after only 3.5 days. You described it to a tee for that amount of time.

Management is horrible; you can be a horrible worker but it will go unnoticed if you're a suck up. Management will also believe anything anyone says about you regardless if it's true or not. I've been secret shopped two times scoring a possible 8 out of 10 and once scoring a perfect 5 out of 5 while the rest of the store failed... However any random fool off the street can say whatever about me and the general manager will believe it.

All the general manager cares about is money and how little work he can do to get more of it. He does not stand behind his employees and uses them as pawns while he gets paid the big bucks to sit at his desk all day and gossip.

@Heartless

heartless i don't know why you keep your job if you hate it soo much. you're obviuosly a *** worker & need to find a new job. anybody ive seen leave after 3 days was a burn out or a 16 yr old that didnt want to work.

View more comments (2)