This is about Menards lumber yards. I purchased a polebarn package from Menards in Rapid City, SD.

886 of 980 Menards Reviews
Aug 04, 2008
review #130212

My husband and I bought a 50x80 pole barn package from Menards, in Rapid City South Dakota in 2006 and paid cash.We asked the contractors department to find a reliable contractor to start right away building it.

So they called Jungle Construction, Owned by Ronnie and Janice Junge. They asked him if he had an opening to build our barn for us right away and he said he did. So they hired him, we all met in the store and made arrangements to get started. We paid him $8,000.00 dollars to get started.

To make a story short, Junge started and left the job and never returned after getting $41,000. from us and now everything sits in the field rotting. Menards will not take him off their list of reliable contractors. How do I reach the head CEO John Menard Jr.

and get somthing done about this fraud?Darline Eiesland, Misterelonny@netzero.com

658c385
Had an experience with Menards?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA
Heartless

Dec 26, 2013 Howard, Wisconsin

I personally know the store manager at the Rapid city store, I have contacted him on his private line and made him aware of this problem. I am sorry but you cannot get in touch with John Menard. The best route for you may be hire an attorney and file a claim in circuit court, make sure you keep track of all names and dates for all menards employees you have worked with on this project. Our current policy states that we not give reference for this type of project, but at the contractor desk we do make exceptions for the contractors who buy many thousands in material from us. We do try and screen the contractors but it does not always work. I will move this situation toward the front of complaints and see if we can remedy this in a timely manner. I have a direct line to the main offices in Wisconsin, hopefully by weeks end I can have an answer for you. By the way did you sign up for OBama care? We all need to do our part.

0 1 Reply
Wolfgirl

Jan 18, 2013 Saint Louis, Missouri

I'm not thinking anyone would pay 41000 dollars to have a poleshed built. Story is very un believable....

Bill

Dec 26, 2011

YOU PAID IN 8 GRAND IN ADVANCE?!!! :sigh

sd contractor

Oct 09, 2011

Brian,
The Menards forest where they get their wood must have ran out so they had to start buying wood where everyone else does. Maybe thats why their lumber is "the worst". I have been a contractor for years now. Your right, sometimes their lumber isnt the best. However, they all buy from the same lumber providers. Usually because Menards is busier they move their lumber more and it is a better quality. Unlike many Lowes or Depot I have been to where the lumber is from years ago and has already completely dried and cracked due to it sitting on the shelf for soo long. Not saying they are perfect. Just saying ALL lumber yards buy the SAME lumber. The qualtiy only depends on how they take care of it and how quickly they move it out the door.

brian

Nov 01, 2010

Comment written ny general number 5. No they dont even stand by there purchases, i bought a lawn mower and it will not start they said since i put gas in it i can not return it and i have to pay for the service on it. What should i have done to check if it worked? come on im sure one of you that dis people that has problems with menards has a answer for me, im sure you work for menards too because who else has time to comment on how wonderful menards is.Has anyone bought lumber from menards an also bought lumber from home depot? Menards lumber is the worst. Come on now all u a holes go ahead and say something about my statement how my grammer an spelling sucks and how wonderful menards is. if you look all over the internet there is plenty of disapointed people also look at what menards bbb rating is its an F the worst rating you can get!!!!!

dont blame Menards!

Jan 18, 2010

I was a Manager at Menards for over ten years and the ONLY contractors that menards hires are ones to work on their own stores. The contractor lists that are now located at every menards desk are there just for the guests convenience only. That so you dont have to open a phone book or go some where else that builds their own pole barns and pay over twice as much. Contractors should have insurance and you should have a contract. NEVER PAY IN ADVANCE, if Ron wanted $8,000,then make him do that much in work, then pay. And for the person that put Rapid City's GM's name on the complaint, thats bull the first time that the person that bought the pole barn asked to talk to the GM they would find out who to talk to. He is NOT hard to deal with, he is very respectable! TX

joe

Dec 25, 2013

Never pay all labor upfront, but as a contractor there should be some skin in the game by both the consumer as well as the contractor. 30% down and the rest upon completion has always worked for me. That way I at least recoup some of my cost if a consumer decides they do not want to pay, but I also can file a lean if they dont. You have to trust your gut when dealing with people. Some contractors and consumers you dont want to do business with no matter how much the job is worth.

0 0 Reply
yup, menards done it again

Dec 09, 2009

Well, Menards claims they don't reccomend contractors so thats why they are not standing behind this guy.

BUT, if they called the contractor for you and set up a meeting with them, I would go after Menards.

The General Manager at Rapid City is Mark Kerr, he would be the guy to ask for. He has been around for a very long time. He is a tough guy to get along with, and probably won't budge on much, but it is somewhere to start.

Don't expect much though, the managers at Menards are trained to get out of sticky situations.

Hot Air

Dec 09, 2009

Forrest put it best when he said "*** is as *** does". I'm suprised anyone that careless even has a place to put a barn. :roll

Be responsible

Aug 20, 2009

If you were smart you would have gottenbids for the work and checked references. Wow. Spend that much money and leave it up to someone else.

General

Oct 15, 2008

If you have a contract with the subcontractor, hire an attorney and file for breach of contract and damages. This is the only legal action you can take, Menards will only standby their purchases.

Good Luck

Duh

Sep 26, 2008

You mention fraud. Did you contact the local police department? I would try the local police or the states attourney before going to a website to complain.

another dumb shopper

Sep 02, 2008

menards DID NOT hire your contractor, you did. YOU chose to give this contractor money before they did any work. Menards has no "list of reliable contractors", and you should stop complaining, this is YOUR fault.

cashier

Aug 23, 2008

Pretty typical. The customer never takes the blame. They always have to try to pin it on the store. Grow up, you were the one who made the *** mistake of paying them up front. :cry

Mark O.

Aug 19, 2008 Mount Vision, New York

Menards doesn't set you up with contractors and why would you pay them in advance. Make sure they finish the job first!

Yeah, I Work There

Aug 18, 2008 Alor Setar, Kedah

Your screen name is Dutch? I think I found the problem. The polebarn is designed in standard measurement units, but you speak metric in the Netherlands. I'm sure that Adobe has some software that can translate the pictures for you.

Another liar!

Aug 14, 2008

Menards does not hire contractors for anyone! Get your *** story straight!

Dutch

Aug 12, 2008 Little India, Ontario

Odean: well you are a fine representative for Menards. Judging your bully reply: i wil never do business with a company treating customers this way. Your reply tells me a lot. Youre really trying to help a customer (not!).

If your were working for my company you'd see the exit sign. You always try to resolve things one way or the other.

Odeon

Aug 11, 2008 Torbali, Izmir

I work at the menards as well. You have some grave misconceptions about the contractor sales area. The purpose of the contractor sales employees is to go to contractor jobsites & try to sell them material. They do not do any contracting or installation themselves.

Menards did not hire your contractor, you did. They may have placed a phone call on your behalf to arrange a meeting, but they did not hire him. The only contractors menards hires are to do construction on the store itself. Menards is not affiliated with contractors in any way, shape, or form. If you were to stop at the contractor sales counter where you had received the information for the contractor in question, there is a LARGE disclaimer stating that, but in better legal dictation. It is your responsibility to do due diligence on any prospective contractor before hiring them. There is no list of "reliable contractors". You make it sound as if there is also a list of "mediocre contractors" & "unreliable contractors". It is merely an area that random folks can advertise their business cards. No different than the yellow pages or your local grocery store's bulletin board.

Also, please post your long story. I'm betting you have far more culpability in this ordeal than you're letting on. There are 2 sides to every story & am sure there are reasons why his card has not been removed.

Lastly, try googling "john menard" & do some research. He is a very
... Show more

Yeah, I Work There

Aug 11, 2008 Alor Setar, Kedah

On the bright side, at least all of the materials are recyclable and biodegradable, so if you chose to leave it rotting in the field you won't be adding any toxic emissions or depleting the ozone layer any further.
Thank you for thinking green.

Showing 1-20 of 22 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about Menards.
Filing a new complaint about
×